entry level velodyne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just saw an add for a Velodyne 10" ported subwoofer for $200. I know that Velodyne makes some good subs but what about this particular one? It also has a built in 170W amp with all the adjustments.

I'm looking to making a sub using plans posted on the web but if I could just go out an buy one that would be easier. The other one I was interested in was the Dayton 10" sub (can't remember the name at the moment) which had good reviews. My intent is for it is to be 75% music and 25% HT.

Any other suggestions? $$$ is an issue. <$300 is my goal...

TIA...

It is indeed easier to go out and buy a subwoofer than it is to DIY, but at a reduced price/performance ratio in most cases. If you don't mind putting in a little effort, I suggest sticking with the DIY route. If you are at a loss for what sort of thing to build, check out the posts I made to the Deep HT Sub witha Twist thread, where I detail three possible smaller, inexpensive subs. The one using the Dayton shielded dual voice coil subwoofer and two matching passive radiators with a 150-watt amplifier is under $200 in parts. If you want something better and a little deeper, that thread also has my suggestion of a subwoofer using a beefy little Tang Band 8" woofer and a robust 12" passive radiator from another company that builds high-end sub drivers and sells them direct from the web site. If you are interested in either of these design options I have listed, I can calculate the amount of mass that will need to be added to the passive radiators.

Bam,

Thank you for your response. The idea of using the TB 8" with a 12" passive sounds interesting and something I would want to pursue.

Unfortunantly, I do not know anything about speaker/sub woofer design and can only understand about half of what everyone is talking about. That is why I'm always looking around for designs done by other. To me, DIY is more "do it yourself" vs. "design it yourself".

So, you mentioned that you are simming this TB driver and passive woofer. I am curious to see what you come up with. This might be something up my alley. Please keep us informed...

TIA...

For really cheap stuff, diy can cost more. If you look at cheap mini systems for example, going for ~AU $100 you can't even make an amplifier for that!

For $300 though DIY is viable. Consider this:

$109 for 250w Rythmik Audio plate amp
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm

$120 for Dayton Reference Series sub 10" version. ($130 for 12" version)
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/dayton_rs10/

A simple sealed sub is a good idea on a budget. When money is tight, I wouldn't go for a passive radiator. You can get more output/extension with a vented version but it takes a bit more work to get it right. However, with the advice from this forum it's definately within your reach, as long as you can get the parts and build it.

I doubt even a Velodyne at that price could be better than what you could do with those parts if done right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.