best boom for the buck?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The driver does actually have dual 8ohm voice coils.
I'm a fan of aluminum drivers too, but It's the price
that really motivates me. It's not that
I won't spend more - I just wanted in this instance
to see what I could accomplish for so little. Partsexpress
has a 10inch DVC "subwoofer" for approximately the same
price. Are there better drivers out there for about the
same 25 dollars?

I don't believe MCM still has the amp in stock. If they do I'll be ticked, because they were out a few weeks ago when I wanted one. Here is the same thing for a little more $$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/150W-RMS-4ohms-...oryZ3275QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would strongly recommend using the MCM 55-2421 ($32) in a 1 cu ft vented box tuned to 32hz or so. I just built one for a friend with a passive radiator from Creative Sound Solutions, but a slot port should work just as well. It is only an 8", but with 16mm of X-max it can be pushed pretty hard. The sub sounds great for what it is. It won't win any SPL contests, but I don't think you can beat it for the money. I believe the single 4 ohm coil will make the best use of the amp as well.

Also, the specs MCM lists for the 55-2421 are a bit off. If the same is true of the driver your looking at, you may want to take some measurements of your own to determine the best alignment. If you choose the 55-2421 that job is already done.

good luck,

Paul

How low do your mains go? It appears the best you could do with the driver you like would be -3db at 50hz. If you would use them with a pair of tiny satellites, those subs could be all you'd want.

Are you tied to the idea of a pair? Why not consider buying only one amp and a better driver?

If you have any interest in the 55-2421, check out www.billfitzmaurice.com. One auto tuba or table tuba should be considerably more than you need, and if you have the wood it would be a very cheap solution. The construction is more ambitious though.

Finally, if the wood is free, you could try out one driver and amp. If it doesn't suit you, you are only out the $25 for the one driver. You may even be able to reuse the box with another driver.

Paul

bluebeard, I actually think you could get a good result with that combo, but I wouldn't call them subs.

IMO and IME a cheap woofer has a better chance at making accurate bass than a cheap subwoofer.

Use them as active woofers added on to a 2 way speaker. They don't have much excursion but for music only use they should work fine. You could make a vented box with lowish tuning and a rolloff which is a cross between sealed and vented. Or a pair of sealed woofers. I tend to think vented might be a good way to go since they have limited excursion, its like doubling the xmax effectively.

Perhaps a single amp and a pair of those woofers? Or start with a single amp and woofer then consider a second ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.