Tempest vented EBS subwoofer - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2002, 08:17 PM   #31
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT
If I have any problems, I will add more wood inside of it as Dave mentioned.
Make sure you add it before you put the finish wood on it. Also keep in mind that by adding mass to the panels you will lower the panel resonance modes and need the extra bracing even more.

dave
Old 22nd October 2002, 08:45 PM   #32
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
I would do it now... but I don't have access to a table saw. I am planning on trying it out without the extra braces for now, and not finishing it with the extra birch yet. Then if I can find time in the next couple of weeks to get access to a table saw I will do it.

Will the stuffing help eliminate this problem? Should I put stuffing on the internal braces, or just the sides (I was planning on only the sides).

--
Brian
Old 22nd October 2002, 09:01 PM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Will the stuffing help eliminate this problem? Should I put stuffing on the internal braces, or just the sides (I was planning on only the sides).
No it won't -- it will only help kill higher freq stuff. I'd try some on the braces. Damping in the exact middle of a box is one of the most effective places for it.
Old 25th October 2002, 04:05 AM   #34

The sub is assembled (not finished yet), and I put it in my '98 honda civic hatchback (barely fits). I am driving it with a 360W rockford fosgate amp that i got 3 years ago.

The sub is loud... It shakes the crap out of my car. I have to get out of the car and turn it up with the remote control. It goes pretty low.

I got my 2 leach superamp boards fixed (skipped a jumper and one side was clipping way too early). I also tested my power supply. All that I need to do to it is assemble. It should put out around 500W into the 4ohm load with the bigger transformer.

I am not going to worry about the extra internal braces, as I am probably going to sell the sub to a friend and build another one... (a little smaller next time). I am satisified with the quality of the tempest vented enclosure in the car, and it probably isn't broken in yet. I had to dig out the ear plugs to bear the excessive bass that it puts out. I also couldn't find an available table saw.

I will post pictures on my website in a couple of days. I am finishing my Seas Thor TL speakers for the DIY2002 Atlanta show on saturday (almost done, just need to finish compounding them to get a nice smooth finish).

I have the box cut out for the mid-Q sealed tempest (a bit smaller then 2'x2'x2') and it has a similar mid brace. What is the best way to modify this sub before I put it together. I had an extra sheet of mdf at my friends, and I all of the pieces for the sub with it.

--
Brian
Old 25th October 2002, 05:04 AM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I am probably going to sell the sub to a friend and build another one...
Beauty. Watch out it could turn into a side job

Quote:
I have the box cut out for the mid-Q sealed tempest (a bit smaller then 2'x2'x2') and it has a similar mid brace. What is the best way to modify this sub before I put it together. I had an extra sheet of mdf at my friends, and I all of the pieces for the sub with it.
If you can divide the panels into unequal trapezoids (ie an angled brace). Use irrational numbers. For example you could place a brace at 1:1.4142 of the panel and then rotate it about its centre to create placement of an angled brace with a predominantly irrational placement.

Hope that makes sense -- i've been doing such things as 2nd nature for so long ...

dave
Old 25th October 2002, 06:24 AM   #36

Dave,

I really appreciate your advice. I will definately consider it before I start the sealed tempest.

Here is a pic of the sub now. The main baffle is flush except for the speaker jack, because i didn't take the time to make a square countersink hole. I will add the 1/4" birch to the sides next.

--
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aao.sized.jpg (50.9 KB, 144 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!