diy home sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking to make my own powered subwoofer for my stereo.
Nothing crazy, I have build boxes in the past but for car audio.
Can i just get one of those sub amps from like parts express and match it up with a subwoofer based on its power and resistance.
And for building the box can i just use the specs that come with the sub.

Look for a driver with 4 ohms ideally, which is what many are. Lower will be a challenge for the amp, and higher means less current from the amp will be available.

Sounds like you want simple, so you might just go with a sealed box.

Consider not just "power" which is what the driver can handle without melting the voice coil, but also xmax, how much excursion it can handle. No use having 1000w power hanlding if it can only move 5mm.

You really should at least do a quick simulation with WinISD to see what size is ok. You want a Q of at least 0.7 or lower ... or copy a sub someone else has done if you don't want to design it.

Throwing a driver and amp together into a box without any thought is a gamble, and one you don't need to take since if you mention a driver and amp, we can give feedback and make suggestions.

There is some info on the wiki on subwoofers (see link in my signature) ... check it out ;)

I am used to dealing with car audio, usually i stick with 10 inch subs because they tend to be accurate as far as keeping up with quick notes like in rock music. This is what i have read in the past that twelves and up can be a little sloppy when it comes to music besides rap. I have noticed that a lot of people seem to use 12's, 15's, and even 18 inch subs for home audio. So i am not sure which size to go for I listen to both rock and rap and would love to get a bigger sub but i do not want to sacrafice sound quality.
I planned on making a sealed box.
I would like to spend a total of $300 for both a sub and amp.

Watch what you say, brother, we don't need no "fast bass" arguments breaking out... just kidding.

There has been many discussions about "fast" bass and "tight" bass and the general consensus is no one can really define what make bass fast and tight.

Many of us indeed us 15" plus subs. it is the driver not the size that makes the difference in SQ. A great analogy for ya: Lighter cars accelerate quicker because of lower weight correct? Maybe not. If you put a 1000 lb Yugo with 50hp against a 2000lb Cuda with a blown Hemi.... well you got one smoked Yugo...

I am currently using a Quatro 15. Not the best sub, but it SMOKES my 10" Sony sub I had for my car back in the day. Not only in SQ, but in response time (fast) and extension.

BTW, I listen to all kinds of music, and a lot with "fast" bass. Crystal Method, Celldweller, NIN etc and the Quatro handles herself pretty good. But it's still time for and upgrade :devilr:

My very first DIY audio project was a Dayton 12" Quattro (4 ohm) sub with the 250 watt plate amp in the recommended sealed box, Downfiring, actually. It is a god compromise between sq & spl, I think. A project like this is a really good way to get into the hobby, and the box is the least costly part of the deal so you can always try a ported one later!

Just an idea, but what I have for a HT sub did not cost me much at all, although mine is a Passive Radiator based design, I think a sealed sub is great for home theater if the correct driver is used.

I am currently using an Apex Sr. 350W RMS into 4 ohms amplifier. It is not the greatest amp by any means (i plan on making my own one of these days), but it is very inexpensive and has a lot of punch, and I feel still better than the parts express ones (from what I have heard of them, subjective opinion of course!). Anyway, I see they are on sale right now for $150:

http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm

They also have a "Junior" version available which is 130W RMS into 4 ohms for $90.

For my subwoofer I have an Adire Audio Shiva Mark II 12". I got mine a while back (when it was a Mark I, err, original "Shiva" - but after I wrecked it with a bad amplifier they replaced it free with a Mark II even though my warranty was up!) for a very low price, but of course as demand went up for them so did the price. You can get a Shiva Mark V today for $179.00. I can't say enough good things about this sub, it is very good for the price, although I got it for $95 a while back I still think $179.00 is a decent deal (and a 15" is only $20 more). But I have been "out of the loop" the last few years so maybe there is better.

As for the board, 3/4" MDF should be available from the lumber yard for ~$20, so that gives a total of $350 without shipping.

Just an idea for you. And yes, use WinISD as paulspencer to calculate box volume - this is vitally important. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help I will have to do some more reading before i buy the sub and amp I will let you know what I decide on.
Also does anyone ever use fiberglass for the front of their box, I used fiberglass for making speaker pods in my car and have been looking for something to fiberglass ever since ...I found it to be a lot of fun to use.

I found some good sites from searching on yahoo and google I do not remeber the good ones it was while back that i did that project.
Basically you make a speaker ring out of MDF and build part of a box like the back and sides (many different ways to do it) mount the rind with long dowls then use like fleece cloth to cover the ring and staple it to back of box lay some resin on that then some mat then resin and repeat until strong enough. then dremel out for speaker to fit then bondo sand paint or vinly.
That is the basics I think JLaudio has a tutorial on it also on the Alpine site they have a car they fiberglassed the interior with lots of pics so you can get an idea of how it works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.