sub recommendation for music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have infinity SM215 mains, they are a 3 way ported 10" speaker. They are efficient (98db) but a little lacking in bass. So I need a sub. I was thinking 2, one under each speaker. Budget is $500 for the amps and subs. Mainly interested in sealed. Need recommendations for the drivers. My guess is a should go with 12's.

paulspencer said:

Have you considered subs with some efficiency as well?

I have space for 100-150L. I have a lot of experience with car audio subs (SQ) but there watts are cheaper than efficient speakers.

I really am inexperienced when it comes to home audio subs. There is a lot of infor for home theater subs, but I can find very little info on audio (music) subs.

What size would be best (10", 12", 15") and how much power do I need to match my mains? Again the mains are 10" 3-ways with 98db efficiency. They put out almost 110 db measured with the radioshack SPL meter 3 ft away (big 6,000 cuft room.)

Home theatre and music are not necessarily all that different. I'd focus instead on more specific goals - SPL, bandwidth, extension, performance goals such as accuracy, etc.

Watts are cheaper than efficiency? Well not necessarily that simple.

Especially if horn loading comes into it ...

Given choice between those sizes, 2 x 15" comes to mind

you haven't looked at the wiki have you? :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.