Gut wrenching power? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2005, 08:52 PM   #1
riddlah is offline riddlah  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Gut wrenching power?

Hi peeps

In my uni (creative sound design course), we in a group have been assigned a project to work on a film and do some live Foley and sound effects for the film.
Now the effect we want in this project (because its mostly about impact) is serious heart wrenching bass, I mean seriously powerful bass.
we have have a few 15" subwoofer in our student bar we could use, but although they are good they aint that great.

Now because we have a good budget for this, I would like to know what hornloaded subwoofers/enclosures you would suggest.

the room size that we are using is enough to seat 200 people and is design like a cinema, but it has a dead sounding space (like a studio)

I was not keen on using dozens of subs lined up. I am really after the most efficient loudest sub/enclosure combination.

what do u guys suggest?
Old 18th November 2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you are looking for the gut wrenching bass like at some concerts, you ought to consider PA drivers. These are efficient and are made to operate in those frequencies. A sub is not as likely to give you that same sensation.
Old 18th November 2005, 10:12 PM   #3
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can consider a few of the LABhorns.
Old 19th November 2005, 12:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=plans

As good a start as any.

You need an idea of how loud you want, and how low you want before you can make a proper decision.

How big is the budget, and does it include buying amps / crossovers etc ?

Most horn designs are meant to be used in multiples to get the proper effect. Corner loading or flare extenders can 'cheat' this a bit.

Rob.
Old 19th November 2005, 06:39 PM   #5
riddlah is offline riddlah  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi peeps

i kinda wrote that post in a hurry so il be a little more clear

im looking for something with a frequency response of around 30hz-120hz
iv seen some cervin vega PA subwoofers (folded horn design i think) that claim to produce bass upto 139db without using multiple enclosures, but im hoping to find something more powerful than that (145db plus if that is posible)
ideally we would prefere to only have to use 2-6 speaker cabinets.
we have plenty of power amp wise (Crown, Mackie and some others) so power is not an issue.
cost wise around £4 k but this is negotiable since, the equiptment is going to be use for future events over here.

iv seen many PA hornloaded designs etc and one that has caught my interest is Fitzmaurice Tuba 36 and the Labhorns. i want to build the loudest (with serious impact) system and im just interested in which speaker/enclosure combination would offer this?
Old 19th November 2005, 06:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

6 of either the labs or the tuba36's should do something special. And you'd get change from the £4k.

I haven't seen many other designs that get down to 30Hz. Mind you there's many people here who know a lot more about horns than me.

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 20th November 2005, 08:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The 30 Hz - 120 Hz claim by Cerwin Vega is for a stack not a single unit, they however seem to forget to mention such detail.
Also 132 dB with 1000 Watts seems to make more sense looking at size and horn aspects, as you're probably not interested in a theoretcal peak power output at a frequency not reproduced by a sub in the first place.
I've heard some over the weekend and admitt they do a good job but sometimes the marketing department just seems to have lost any contact with reality.

145 dB is completely over the top IMO and usually the output of 4 - 6 horn loaded 18" (stacked).

A single Labhorn each side 1/4 or 1/8 th space should do the trick in a space that suites 200 people. It's very room dependent, so the room size and/or measurements would be interesting to know. What kind of tops are you planning to use and what about the amplifiers/processing?

Wkr Johan
Old 21st November 2005, 05:37 PM   #8
VvvvvV is offline VvvvvV  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

tline and tlinez
Old 21st November 2005, 05:48 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

145db at 30 hz needs a lot of power. What do have for amps?
Old 22nd November 2005, 01:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Check out Wayne Parham's 12pi bass horn. It is based on the lab, same drivers but its bigger and includes innovations to increase the power handling, reduce distortion further, and doesn't need as many cabs.

Nothing wrong with having "over the top" output capability. This means even lower distortion.

Also keep in mind that driver excursion can get out of control below tuning. LFE use with high power amps can kill the drivers down low. Waynes horn can take 1.6kw per cab, but I'd expect that any subsonic content could make a mess of the drivers with much less than that if not filtered.

Hide this!Advertise here!