simplest loudpspeaker dc protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i was never into anything like this as speaker protection ckt.
but today,bec of a stray wire,my under test amp pumped tons of dc into my two way.result::tweeter survived(it had to bec of cap);but my $100 woofer gave out smoke and went dead :bawling:

what is the simplest way to protect woofer.a 10nf cap in series?or a simple ckt?

i dont want repetition of todays events.help req.

thanks in advance

thanks a ton.

i had been searching the net for this but all i got was thrash.

it is too much simple.a bit of doubt:) does it affect sound quality in any way?

please tell me the specs of relay used.i have tda7294 amps in 70w continous mode.the 'suicide amp' was lm3876.plz suggest suitable relay ratings for tda amp.

also tell how can i vary its turn off time?

The turn on delay is about the same as some typical transistor based circuits. You can make a transistor based one faster, but this one is perfectly fast enough.

The effect on sound quality would be a little more than a transistor based circuit, but I'd say you would be hard pushed to notice. The non-linear elements of the circuit are effectively out of circuit at normal audio frequencies.

The relay spec is given at the bottom. I use a commonly available 16A contact rated relay.

You can't vary the turn off time without changing the caps (which would have a knock on effect throughout the circuit), it simply remains on as long as there is DC present and shuts off when it's not, plus a few milliseconds whilst the caps discharge.

thanks
if the effect on sound is audible only through 'audiophile ears',then this ckt is a very very nice one.i saw this on net at vellman site and saw its specs.i suppose by using higher current rated relay ,this circuit can b a full proof protection against malacious dc on the prowl to eat away the speakers
so simple,so cheap.i will make one and test it for slightest dc levels.

any other method in sight that is simple(i saw one using microcontroller!!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.