Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

efficient 15" subs that will drop in an automotice IB setup, 10CuFt/sub sealed(ish)
efficient 15" subs that will drop in an automotice IB setup, 10CuFt/sub sealed(ish)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default efficient 15" subs that will drop in an automotice IB setup, 10CuFt/sub sealed(ish)

looking for a suitable pair of subs for an Infinite baffle set-up in a car. I've posted in here because it is a set up more like a home theatre setup than you usual in car boomer.

My criteria are:

efficient, 97dB/w minimum the more the better.

They will be using the boot/trunk for am emclosure, so about 20CuFt for the two subs and it won't be the most rigid/well sealed enclosure ever created

I'd like 2 X 8ohm subs (wired in parallel) as the amp produces 2000W @ 4ohm

Low Fs, this will become obvious when you read the first point of my thoughts below, the lower the Fs the lower I expect it to drop, I want these to go as low as possible.

My thoughts are:

A pair of decent proaudio subs wired in parallel with A-periodic membranes to limit excursion at lower frequencies, I have seen this work to good effect. This would then be on a sealed baffle behind the rear seats, with the rear seat modified to allow the sound through.

So far the best option I've found with my limited knowledge is this:

Precision Devices PD1550
http://www.precision-devices.com/showdetails.asp?id=14

I dont know if 18s would fit but this looks ok:
Precision Devices PD186
http://www.precision-devices.com/showdetails.asp?id=3

I've had B&C reccomended but couldn't find anything better, what do people reccommend for this?
Old 31st October 2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

You also might consider this as it's a pretty rugged unit with that quartz composite cone. I have a pair that I use in my Altec A7 cabinets.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=264-425&DID=7
Old 1st November 2005, 09:13 AM   #3
Mutley666 is offline Mutley666  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Puggie,

Take a look at Fane's drivers, their Colossus range might suit your application. I've only heard them briefly, but the sounded pretty awesome!

BKELEC sell the range in the UK, they also supply Precision Devices.

efficient 15" subs that will drop in an automotice IB setup, 10CuFt/sub sealed(ish)Hide this!Advertise here!