Very frustrating problem with sub box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought some Behringer B1800X pa bass bins and the drivers in them were pressed steel rubbish so I got some Eminence Omega Pro 18's to put in there.
But two of the t-nuts have fallen out and won't go back in.:mad: :mad: :mad: Even after trying to hammer the t-nut back in, and even with a new t-nut.
The box is made of 18mm MDF and seems to get softer every time I try and bang those two t-nuts in.

So how can I get them in??, I tried them in different positions and they still won't get in fully like the rest.:mad: :censored:

I don't want to make the holes for the t-nuts too big or I would have wasted £150 for what I bought each cab for.

Someone please help me out.

how can u bang on the t-nut if it is the inside of the enclosure? the t-nut is mounted on the opposite side of the enclosure. when the woofer bolt is tightened it pulls the t-nut into the enclosure. it appears that the t-nuts were mounted on the front side of the box, wrong.

I second the suggestion for a piece of plywood glued over the ruined bit of mdf, and re-drilled.

An easy way to 'hammer' in t-nuts without a hammer is to use a G cramp to squeeze it in. I always use a bit of contact adhesive aswell.( to prevent it from falling out later on)

Rob.

I've had that problem a lot.

Nowadays I use one of the metal screws used to hold the speaker, together with a metal ring on the outside to just pull the t-nut in (M6 or M8). If there is only 1/12 th inch to pull, you can put some super glue between the t-nut and the wood. This will keep the t-nut in place even under mid/heavy duty.
Depending on the situation I put 1/25 th - 1/8 th Baltic Birch on the back of the t-nut while overlapping on to the wood (of the cab) and glue or screw it in place. Strong enough for heavy duty applications but still removable if necessarily.

A third option is to simply put a small screw in one of the corners of the t-nut. The head of the screw will prevent the t-nut from falling out and/or turning.

how can u bang on the t-nut if it is the inside of the enclosure?
It's a 18" speaker, so big enough to get your hammer inside and do some banging ;)

Wkr Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.