help needed with HT DIY sub choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The AV12 is based on the TC2 motor from TC Sounds, but with differences. The motor is still the same on the new AE Speakers drivers as compared to the old TC Sounds drivers, but now built by AE Speakers. It has a longer 23mm Xmax than the TC2+ and a very clean sound which I've found that, when properly integrated, goes great with any type of program material. You'll either need to go sealed or use passive radiators. You can build a 4 cubic foot vented EBS box, but I like the 3 cubic foot dual-15" PR box. The passive radiators are the 1400g ones that are also supplied by AE Speakers. The proprietor of AE Speakers, John Janowitz, told me that both the AV12 and AV15 woofers are indeed in stock and ready to ship, though I imagine they may take a week to do so just because John's such a busy guy and good help is so hard to find.

Oddly enough, attempts to lower the inductance of the AV series motor actually resulted in an increase in inductance. Keeping the price low was also a major consideration in the AV series design, which at the time provided the most displacement per dollar spent and still represents a great value all around for a subwoofer driver.

The TC2+ 15" drivers arrived...

just a couple of pics...

Attachments

• tc2+_15_cone.jpg
    tc2+_15_cone.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 167
So i did manage to get one woofer installed tonight and i had a quick listen in my soon-to-be-functional home theater (with a vastly underpowered amp). WOW - i was very impressed! I can't wait to get the other one done and finally get the theater finished!

I'll post more pics shortly...

Scott

Attachments

• tc2+_15_side.jpg
    tc2+_15_side.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 162
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.