1st build, what do i need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks like I'll be getting my hands on a used plate amp and shiva 12" for a decent price. I'm planning on using the Adire plans and building the smallest of the boxes. I was wondering what I should be using to put it all together and seal it up? MDF wont be a problem, but I'm not sure on screws / nails, glue or sealant (silicone?) and stuff like that. As well the plans don't include a spot for the plate amp, any clever ideas on where / how I should mount it?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Increase the size of the box (the same amount as the amp takes up) to accomodate it.

Glue: You can use white, yellow, sub-floor or construction.

If you are using 3/4" MDF (19mm) get 2" or 2 1/4" flat head #8 screws. Don't forget to drill pass and pilot holes. Some prefer to use inside corner blocking so there are no screws visible from the outside.

Joint sealant: you can use urethane or butyl or almost any caulk for that matter. The trick is to leave it after you caulk to air out for a day or so to allow it to gas off before closing the box. In some cases, the woodwork is so good, you don't need sealant.

There is lots more to know but that should get you started.

Cal

I like to use a cheap bottle of PL brand polyurethane glue. Polyurethane expands as it cures, so it will fill in any little mess-ups and gaps in your joints.

I'm not sure of your woodworking skills, but if they're not that good (like mine) just be patient!

Good luck :smash: !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.