Subwoofer stand - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2005, 03:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer stand

I have a pair of Rocket UFW-10 subs, and will soon be buying a pair of stand-mount monitors. I want to save space by mounting the monitors over the subs. I have two options. One is to place 12" (30 cm) stands between the subs and the monitors. The other option is to sit the subs on stands, and place the monitors directly on top of the sub cabinets. I think option #2 would give me better stability, but I'm wondering if having the subs 12" above the floor (woofer centers at 20") will improve the sonics, or cause a problem due to floor bounce?

Any ideas for stand construction or materials? A welded and painted steel frame is the obvious solution. What about coupling vs. decoupling?
Old 22nd September 2005, 04:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A sub on the floor with a stand in between is what I would do. Perhaps make a base on the stand the same dims as the sub footprint, and with a similar finish, or just black, then a stand. You could easily do this with MDF. Make two rectangles, on the base to go on top of the sub, the other the base for the monitor. In between you could make a rectangle to attach the two.

If you really want it stable, then you could have a vertical plate to which everything is screwed together at the back - sub, monitor and stand in between.
Old 22nd September 2005, 06:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulspencer
A sub on the floor with a stand in between is what I would do.
What's your reasoning for that choice Paul? What's the advantage with leaving the sub on the floor?
Old 22nd September 2005, 06:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Stability, which comes from keeping the heaviest part down low sitting on the ground. Also from a looks point of view.
Old 22nd September 2005, 06:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Stability, which comes from keeping the heaviest part down low sitting on the ground. Also from a looks point of view.
Thanks Paul.

The monitors are 44 lbs each, the subs are 52 Lbs each. Maybe I should build stands weighing 60 lbs and put them on the bottom.
Old 22nd September 2005, 06:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You could screw fix the stand to the underside of your monitors and make the plinth base of the stand the same footprint as the subwoofer, sitting on top of the sub. If that is not solid enough for you, then there isn't much you can do short of fixing them all together as if one speaker then bolting it all to the floor!

Ideally you want to isolate it from the floor, so that you avoid transferring vibration from the speakers to the floor which would then become an unintended transducer adding coloration.
Old 23rd September 2005, 03:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ideally you want to isolate it from the floor, so that you avoid transferring vibration from the speakers to the floor which would then become an unintended transducer adding coloration.
My floor is pretty good. It's poured concrete with 2" joists and oak hardwood on top. The subs are on 3 rubber feet now.

I should have mentioned that the subs are 13" cubes, so mounting them on top of some sort of stand wouldn't look too ungainly. I've heard some people claim that getting the sub up off the ground can improve the sound, so I was wondering if there was a down side.
Old 24th September 2005, 02:35 PM   #8
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

A sub with the driver close to the floor is going to work better with the room than higher up as the effect of closer boundary dimensions are outside or at the limit of the sub range, such as 180mm gives a maximum boost at 83Hz but 400mm would give a maximum boost at 41Hz . There is some software around for this somewhere but can't remember where I saw it.

Plus you've got all this energy in the driver that can vibrate a stand severely.... cripes, I've seen subs walk across the room (well starting to make a run for it). I think what they mean by getting the sub off the ground is lift it by about 40mm on spikes or feet and you need something that can also grip onto the floor. Got sick of mine trying to relocate itself.
Old 25th September 2005, 03:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

SWMBO says the subs should go on the bottom. So do you guys, so that's what it will be.

Paul's mdf idea is intriguing. I'll go that way and see how it sounds. Maybe add some sand. Sure won't cost much
Old 25th September 2005, 08:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've tried programs to simulate room gain and room modes, but in comparison to measurements, there is very little correlation - they are useless.

There will always be someone to say that doing something makes it sound better! The difference in sound with moving the sub off the floor is likely to be more measurable than audible. It will affect room gain and room modes by a trivial amount. You won't suddenly lose gain by raising it up, but instead lose a tiny amount.

I just think a sub looks better sitting on the floor, not up on a stand.

Hide this!Advertise here!