tade no subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
None of them are likely to be optimal for anything but a textbook implementation which is not suitable with most drivers. A properly implemented passive solution is better than a sub-optimal active. This is why I have gone from passive to active then back to passive. This Christmas, my plan is to do active properly with this:

http://www.behringer.com/DCX2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can probably pick it up for $250 USD.

A 4LR requires 2 octaves of flat response either side of xo point for each driver to achieve the correct implementation. This means a tweeter which must be flat from 600 Hz and up (2.5k xo) and a mid flat up to 10k! For an 80 Hz xo to the sub to work with a 4LR you need the sub flat up to 320 Hz (possible) and the mid flat down to 20 Hz! (not likely!) If you don't have this scenario, then what you need to do is combine the slope of the xo filters with the driver acoustic rolloff. This means things like having a sealed mid with an F3 @ 80 Hz and a HP filter 2nd order at that point, and a 4th order LP on the sub at 80 Hz. This gives you -6db @ 80 Hz for each driver at this point and adding up acoustic and electrical slopes, it integrates properly. Those units, if they are to do the job right, need to be able to give you the flexibility to do that kind of thing. Ultradrive allows this, I'm not sure about those other units.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.