questions on first sub build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just starting to get into somewhat high end home audio, and have been into car audio for a while.

With the purchase of my preamp, amp and speakers I have begun wondering if I want to add a sub as the system will eventually evolve from a 2 channel to a 5.1 channel surround system.

I have always been fascinated with the idea of using certain car audio components in a home setting - particularly a subwoofer.

My thoughts were to try to use a JL 10w7 in a sealed downfire box that I would build and power it with something along the lines of a parasound hca-1200 mkII in bridged mode.

Are there any glaring problems with an idea like this (other than impedence...I might have to use a DVC 4ohm 10w6 instead). Most home theater amps are only stable down to 4 ohms....

If not using a home theater amp, maybe a car audio amp like the JL 500/1 or memphis 500 x 1 mounted to the back of the enclosure and then powered with a decent PS...

any thoughts?

Implementing car audio components has been done well but does have some challenges. However if you mean that you are going to buy NEW car audio components specifically for you home HT, I would strongly recommend against this. There is just such a wide variety of equipment available made specifically for this purpose for all budgets.

You can get nice car subwoofers that will work well in a home environment. The W7 series isn't that good for home use on the other hand because the Fs is high. You'll get extreme SPL but not much low bass (20-30 Hz). It depends what do you want, but as leadbelly said, there's several home audio subwoofers to choose from also to consider. Adire Audio for example have a Car line and a Home line.

On the other hand, for the amplifier, I'm strictly against the idea of a car amplifier with a transformer. Unless you already got an amplifier that you want to use. A transformer powerful enough for a car amplifier is not that easy to find and/or will cost quite a bit of money to build. There's several plate amplifiers available, better suited for home use. Why? Variable phase knob, variable crossover knob, variable gain knob, hi and low level imputs and outputs. There's also several Pro amplifiers to deliver alot of power for even a bit cheaper.

Rythmik Audio for example:
250W 4 ohms = 119$
350W 4 ohms = 159$

PartsExpress:
500W 4 ohms = 299$
1000W 4 ohms = 399$

QSC RMX Pro amplifiers: (All the RMX can be used with 2 channels x 2 ohms instead of mono 4 ohms)
830W 4 ohms = 299$
1400W 4 ohms = 399$
1800W 4 ohms = 499$
2400W 4 ohms = 599$

Well, yes I was planning on buying new components for this project. I know there are quite a few great products out there in terms of subwoofers for home audio, but I mainly wanted to do this as kind of a self gratifing experiment more than anything else.

Anyone have any idea as to some common problems that might arise in a build like this?

I guess in that case I'll start looking around for a better subwoofer to fit the application. I was somewhat worried about that particular sub not being able to reach down into the really low frequencies; but I like a really tight sounding sub, so there will probably have to be some trade off there.

As far as the amp goes, I figure I'll just use the parasound that I mentioned earlier so long as the sub is a dvc 4 ohm sub (so I can wire it to 8 ohm).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.