7 ply birch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to build a diy sub with a titanic mkIII 15 and i have some sheets of 3/4 inch 7 ply birch laying around and I am out of mdf. I was wondering if you guys think the 7 ply birch would be good enough for the enclosure. I wanna try a little different or should i head over to home depot and get the good ol mdf.

The 7-ply birch ($39/sheet) they sell at the local Lowes seems less dense and weighs less than the MDF they sell so I've been relunctant to try it. I did notice that the brand new Home Depot near us has 11-ply birch, no counting the 2 layers of "veneer" birch on the outsides, making it 13-ply, essentially. They sell it for the same $39/sheet that Lowes does and it does seem a little more dense and weighs a little more.

What do you guys think? Is the 11-ply close to baltic/marine birch?

Sorry if I'm jumping in your thread :angel:

the 12 ply is proper 'baltic' or 'russian' birch. You can usually tell because the 'proper' BB ply comes only in 5x5 or 2x4 sheets. The weight/density is not an issue for a sub cabinet, and it is stiffer than MDF which IS an issue. It is generally considered superior than MDF for <100hz enclosures.

I have been building a sub box out of it, after using MDF exclusively, and it does seem quite a bit stiffer and a touch lighter than an equivalent MDF box. But - its harder to machine nicely, especially if you want to stain the 'veneeer' side. If find it prone to splintering in some situations, for example when evening out edges using a flush trim bit. It also costs more than MDF, at least around here. I will use it for sub enclosures from now on, and for fullrange enclosures stick to 1"mdf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.