Would this work - Karlson + slot-loaded port - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2005, 03:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Smile Karlson modification

I can only express pitty for those who have not experienced the Karlson and dismiss it as black magic because they do not understand.

I would consider apply a T-Line approuch to your idea, because of the limited space in the rear chamber. Leander
Old 14th September 2005, 04:22 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

DeonC,

The Karlson enclosure was the first 6th order series tuned bandpass enclosure with the front panel expotential opening acting as the port for the front chamber.

The Karlson was developed before the concept of bandpass enclosures was postulated.

Your slots should be located at the top of the enclosure, behind the front panel, but otherwise your design should work well if it properly tuned.

Larry
Old 14th September 2005, 04:57 PM   #13
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Larry -

Carl (who almost never posts) would probably say a K ain't BP -but may go with "coupled-cavity" (?)

what happens when one is done tall with quasi-t-line vent like my kluge in post above? - what are the wave paths and when does it not become a classic k-coupler?

below is a sealed rear chamber klam outdoors - wings on verus wings off - mic back about 8 feet adn on ground -may be some directivity issues at the mic (?) FR difference looks something like a BP4 sim would predict.

subjectively, K's are very touchy to initial slot gap and initial flare won't show much on RTA but blocking an inch or so of starting area of slot can kill subjective highs and transients - wonder why?

Carl uses aperture-chamber math relating Leach's horn work to Poppe's k-coupler paper.

when K are - uh - working - then quite a bit of fun.

http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/ML18.jpg

Best,
Freddy
Old 14th September 2005, 05:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Freddi,

My first K was in 1966. I got the enclosure from a friend's dad who like to play at woodworking.

I put an EV 12" MI speaker in the K, and mounted an EV T35 tweeter on top. I wound my own coils and wired polarized electrolytics in series for crossover caps.

I drove the K with a BEL 20 watt PP 6V6 amp. My system was in the basement. The first song I played was "Judy in Discuise" by John Fred & his Playboy Band. It shook dishes off the shelf upstairs in the kitchen.

When I hear guys say how bad K's sound, I know they've never really listened to one.

Larry
Old 14th September 2005, 07:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hey Larrry, Lee and Moray - got any cookbook recipies for successful new K-couplers?

FI
Old 15th September 2005, 04:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

how does one edit typo, etc after 1st allowance?)

look at Cogent's Steve Schell's AA HE forum comments on Karlson - gives praise saying Karlson are good approach when a "real" horn's bulk can't be accomodated.

I think new couplers can be built - but may take a bit of work.

Freddy
Old 15th September 2005, 05:26 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default There are interested designers

I know that Tom Danley is interested and possibly Bill Woods. Could we get Onur Ilkorur interested. There are others out there like Carl and Wayne. Can we get them interested? They could stimulate discussion even with a negative analysis at least we would have an idea of where to go and what to work on. Regards Moray James.
Old 15th September 2005, 06:21 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default just an idea to chew on

I know that Onur Ilkorur does not like the idea of a transmission line terminating at or near the driver as his simulations show bass cancelations will result. That said after watching drivers in some Karlsons playing at high level with almost no visable cone motion I do think that the idea has its merrits.
So how about a meeting of the ideas. In most all my K-Line designs I had the driver loaded on the back side with a short transmission line which then terminated into the Karlson koupler at the top of the koupler. Well how about a folded line on the backside of the driver that goes up and folds over to go back down folds again to go back up and terminate at the top back side of the cabinet, as far away as is possible from the driver (to please Onur). At the same time do as Onur does and place a vent into the line (lets use a slot vent to get a slightly wider band) tuned to the resonant frequency of the line. This slot vent would load into the top of the koupler. The vent has then two jobs, to damp the line fundamental and to load the driver on the front side via the Koupler right at the frequency where the line/driver want to take off. Just an idea so have at it and find the faults. This may be interesting. Best regards Moray James.
Old 15th September 2005, 01:04 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Moray - might you post a sketch ?

how do lines behave large-signal? (PA levels) - I sometimes look for offset effects - wouldn't happen in K15 but x15 with Sv ~7-10 sq.in. and sustained high levels might get fairly high vent velocities and rectification. Acoustic's 115BK khyboe had 3* x15's port area yet a bilt lower Z minimum.

got Beyma 12cx in X15 copy - bass is solid - fb ~44 - might need tuned a bit higher - not sure if cab is best width / aspect for 12

in traditional k, rear lowpass choke can do mild juggling of Z -peaks.

a week ago tried to write Danley @info - not sure if correct box

for indirect radiator & bulk restrictions, Karlson imo are sometimes a better choice than horn.

(did Alex work more on the pixel/FEA program?)

Freddy
Old 15th September 2005, 04:24 PM   #20
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thanks, guys. This has been really interesting. I really do think I am going to try some of the suggestions here, but I almost definite that I am going to build one (I tend to change my mnind every now and then, but the Karlson just keeps on popping back up, so I can't ignore it). Thanks again. Now all that remains is to experiment. OTOH, if the lot ports below the Karlson does not work, I can always just seal them off and fill them with sand for a nice solid footer. Time to join the darkside (i.e. Karlson owners and lovers). Hehehehehe.

Deon

Hide this!Advertise here!