That sub exploded ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
folks

a friend of mine just blew his subwoofer as it turned the amp on while the volume was at max power. The cone just exploded!!

He would like to replace the speaker and save the cabinet so can anyone give advises on hte subject??? The only references I was given are

Speaker ESB2101sub, impedance 8Ohm, sensitivity 90db, xover freq 160Hz, 13in dia.

I searched the web and could not find anything and I am not able to suggest him anything to buy.

Ciao
Gianluca

13 inches diameter? That's not common.

Check what's the diameter of the hole left in the box.
That would help us better.

If you need really a 13 inches woofer, I know only JL Audio who's making woofers of that size. I also think they are mostly only 4 ohms but not sure.

If the baffle is large enough you could simply cut the hole larger to accomadate a 15" speaker that would be suitable for the enclosure's volume... I'm sure you would have a much larger selection of 15's to chose from and probably find one that better matches the amp and enclosure

Forget the w7.... Unless you have more money than you know what to do with it's not a good choice for any application let alone a home app. as a drop in replacement. I say, either modify the enclosure to fit a 12"(with a "doughnut" of MDF or whatever wood you find suitable) or modify it to fit a 15" by cutting out a larger hole. Otherwise you are going to be very limited in your driver selection and unless one of the "13inch" drivers fit the bill perfectly then you'd be alot better off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.