building new sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a few questions. What is the general recomendation for a sub amp here. I was thinking of going with either the Parts Express Class G amps, the new 500 and 1000 watt amps, or the Bash amps, which cost less, but have less exciting specs. Any thoughts on these? Would modifying some of the parts maybe improve things?

Next, the drivers. On my list are the Strike Audio AV-15, the Bully 15, the Peerless XLS or XXLS, and the Splinter Audio premium 15. The Splinter seems to offer the most woofer total, inline with a brahma. The Bully was well reviewed and is one I have actually heard, but is might expensive for its specs. The Custom Audio Solutions (Strike) AV-15 is well priced, but I have no experience or reviews, and the Peerless is very well liked for its low distortion, and good specs, and is priced decently. What do you all think.

I was originally thinking of making the box myself, but I have very few tools to do that kind of word working and would have to use stuff at a friends shop. I have never been great at veneering, and want it done relativly quickly. Because of that I was thinking about having one made for me, either locally or by one of the places online, such as Raw Acoustics. Any other suggestions of places that could make me one at a decent price.

Thankyou, I agree, but it is possible I will have no choice. Shipping from Canada is about 80 dollars I believe, but I would have to check to see again.

There actually is a local car audio shop, who I have a very personal relationship with, that has the ability to construct a simple box for me, but seems unwilling. I will ask again and see, but they seem to be pushing me towards a very expensive local cabinet maker. This guy could also make me a great box, but would probably get 5-600 dollars for it. I was hoping to spend less than 300.

AV15 is a very good choice. I would take that over the Bully or over the Peerless.

I don't know about the Splinter Audio so I can't recommend anything.

The PartsExpress plate amplifiers are very nice, but if you want more power with less money, you can go with a Pro amplifier like the QSC RMX line, if you can tolerate little fan noise at high volumes. You have less tweaking options but more power.

Changing some parts can improve the sound, but how much? I don't know.

Check what your enclosure will need. Usually 500W is more than enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.