I want a subwoofer flat from 10hz-40hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18, check if there's some left, I think not.

Adire Audio Tumult are not yet available.

The next best choice would be Acoustic Elegance AV15.

If you care less about price/performance ratio, then there's the JL Audio 13W7 and the XXX 18".

I would use a simple ported enclosure. With a 24 dB x-over on most plate amplifiers, you don't need to use bandpass with the extra group delay, but that's my opinion.

A TL could do this, but it will be quite long since a quarter wave 10 Hz is about 27 feet long. With some tweaking it would be less long but it will be quite long anyway.

I hope you can use a VERY large box. If you can't, then going with passive radiators is the only solution.

That's a nice project and not that hard to do. Good luck!

simon5 said:
Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18, check if there's some left, I think not.

Adire Audio Tumult are not yet available.

The next best choice would be Acoustic Elegance AV15.

If you care less about price/performance ratio, then there's the JL Audio 13W7 and the XXX 18".

I would use a simple ported enclosure. With a 24 dB x-over on most plate amplifiers, you don't need to use bandpass with the extra group delay, but that's my opinion.

A TL could do this, but it will be quite long since a quarter wave 10 Hz is about 27 feet long. With some tweaking it would be less long but it will be quite long anyway.

I hope you can use a VERY large box. If you can't, then going with passive radiators is the only solution.

That's a nice project and not that hard to do. Good luck!

I'm looking for a nice efficency of around 96 db/w with this setup

I don't think an XXX would play 10hz very well

I want this dead flat... seriously maybe a 3db down area of AROUND 10 hz is acceptable... but this isn't as easy as it appears

I'm going to try to locate an AV18 used... perhaps I can find one

the tumult isn't out yet... but that's ok I can wait if it isn't too long

I have 2400 watts at 4 ohms BTW to give this sub

At what SPL? My bass boxes will do 10Hz @ 85dB, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

In your case, there's no substitute for cubic inches, so rather than looking at a single driver, I would be trying for probably 4 (in a series/parallel arrangement) and if you've got a spare attic or basement, then an IB arrangement would be probably the way to go. There are a few threads on these, the latest being Bill F's - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=53961

If you're going for a ported enclosure, then I'd be looking at a fairly high-Q crossover somewhere around the 10Hz mark, this will allow you to boost your SPL from the port (I'm assuming you'll be tuning it at about 10Hz) and save your driver from excessive excursion below 10Hz. Although, except for the occasional explosion in Star Wars movies, I'm not sure where you'll be getting the 10Hz signal from.

That said, what sort of room are you trying to produce this sound in? You'll have to make sure that it's fairly solid, as those low notes at reasonable volumes can do some fair old shaking. Also, you'll have to limit what SPL can be produced, as a note below your hearing level can still do damage at SPLs over 110dB.

Cloth Ears said:
At what SPL? My bass boxes will do 10Hz @ 85dB, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

In your case, there's no substitute for cubic inches, so rather than looking at a single driver, I would be trying for probably 4 (in a series/parallel arrangement) and if you've got a spare attic or basement, then an IB arrangement would be probably the way to go. There are a few threads on these, the latest being Bill F's - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=53961

If you're going for a ported enclosure, then I'd be looking at a fairly high-Q crossover somewhere around the 10Hz mark, this will allow you to boost your SPL from the port (I'm assuming you'll be tuning it at about 10Hz) and save your driver from excessive excursion below 10Hz. Although, except for the occasional explosion in Star Wars movies, I'm not sure where you'll be getting the 10Hz signal from.

That said, what sort of room are you trying to produce this sound in? You'll have to make sure that it's fairly solid, as those low notes at reasonable volumes can do some fair old shaking. Also, you'll have to limit what SPL can be produced, as a note below your hearing level can still do damage at SPLs over 110dB.

I'm looking for up to 130+ db at like 15hz-40hz with whatever I can get below that

I cna boost with my DRC all I want to flatten but I would still prefer as flat to begin with

the room is small 15x12... but it'll be fine

the 10hz signal isn't important where it comes from necessarily... if it comes EVER I don't wanna miss it ;)

and my midbasses are beasts at 40hz so I want something to wang jjust as good from 10hz-40hz

ideally I would like 5hz... but I know no speaker can do this very well

simon5 said:
130 dB flat, that's a challenge! I like that!

Let me do some modeling.
Don't discard the XXX. 10 Hz is easy to play.

So, very large box or passive radiators?

passive radiators aren't out of the question if I can find them cheaply

if not a large box is fine

the FS is FAR too high on the 18" XXX!

I'll email dan wiggins and ask him when the 18" maelstorm and tumult will be out

I just checked a single Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18 with 800W.

You'll get 124 dB flat to 10 Hz with it in a 35 cu.ft ported box tuned to 10 Hz if you corner load it.

A single driver is not enough hehe, you need 2 Avalanche 18 with 1600W. That way, with two 35 cu.ft ported boxes, you get 130 dB flat to 10 Hz if you put each box in a corner.

simon5 said:
I just checked a single Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18 with 800W.

You'll get 124 dB flat to 10 Hz with it in a 35 cu.ft ported box tuned to 10 Hz if you corner load it.

A single driver is not enough hehe, you need 2 Avalanche 18 with 1600W. That way, with two 35 cu.ft ported boxes, you get 130 dB flat to 10 Hz if you put each box in a corner.

I can only do 2 18's

also that box is too large.... way too large....

uggghh

Checked with two older Tumults 15 inchers.

Two boxes of 10 cu.ft each, corner loaded with 2000W imput would give about 126 dB at 10 Hz. Can't use 2400W or there's overexcursion. It's also less flat, there will be a shallow rolloff in room, starting at 129 dB at 40 Hz down to 126 dB at 10 Hz.

I think you might be struggling just using only 1 or 2 drivers. I'd be thinking 4 x 18's (if you can find them with enough excursion), or 8 x 15's - in massive boxes tuned really low.

Do you really want 130dB at 10Hz? That could kill you - or at leat permanently damage your hearing.

2 Maelstroms (isobaric) in a 250 litre box tuned to 10.5 Hz would give you 110dB without exceeding Xmax. And in your room that would probably be louder (I don't know how to work that out).

Cloth Ears said:
I think you might be struggling just using only 1 or 2 drivers. I'd be thinking 4 x 18's (if you can find them with enough excursion), or 8 x 15's - in massive boxes tuned really low.

Do you really want 130dB at 10Hz? That could kill you - or at leat permanently damage your hearing.

2 Maelstroms (isobaric) in a 250 litre box tuned to 10.5 Hz would give you 110dB without exceeding Xmax. And in your room that would probably be louder (I don't know how to work that out).

I want it flat!

namely that's it....

I can live with 120db across all of the bandwith if it was flat to 40hz

Room gain

Look at room gain as being about 12 db per octave below about 25 hz. That being said try to find a spot in a room as small as noobs that will allow you to hear those frequencies!

130 ouch!

I did a 5 15" setup tuned to 9 hz about 6 years ago. Cannot be explained just experienced. Of course I had all the bad a** pipe organ stuff that really gave them a workout.

Just a tip.

There is a way to model the room volume as the back chamber of the woofers and the box as the front volume and make a bandpass enclosure. Play with the numbers and you may end up with something that doesn't flap in the wind and blow up!

Mark

Re: Room gain

mwmkravchenko said:

There is a way to model the room volume as the back chamber of the woofers and the box as the front volume and make a bandpass enclosure. Play with the numbers and you may end up with something that doesn't flap in the wind and blow up!

Mark

it's late... what exactly does that mean?

model the room volume as the back chamber?

I want it flat!

The only way you're going to be able to get 120dB, exactly flat, from 10Hz-40Hz, in 20cu feet or less, is by electronic means.

What I mentioned will give you flat (within 3dB - I challenge you to be able to tell any difference at 110dB), and if you put 3 of them together you've used about 26 cu feet and 119dB. A little extra power, some minor electronic flattening (you're low-pass at 40Hz will probably do this anyway) and you'll have your 120dB anechoic. In your room (somewhere) you might be able to find 130dB do to room loading - probably if you stick your head in a corner. But I doubt you would know it, as 10Hz will only make it uncomfortable to breath and cause a bit of balance loss. It'll probably shake a few things, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.