I want a subwoofer flat from 10hz-40hz - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2005, 11:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I want a subwoofer flat from 10hz-40hz

that's right.... it will be crossed off at 40 hz

right now I'm thinking Ascendent AV 18" bandpassed for this area

or Tumult bandpassed

could a TL do this?
Old 7th September 2005, 12:03 AM   #2
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18, check if there's some left, I think not.

Adire Audio Tumult are not yet available.

The next best choice would be Acoustic Elegance AV15.

If you care less about price/performance ratio, then there's the JL Audio 13W7 and the XXX 18".

I would use a simple ported enclosure. With a 24 dB x-over on most plate amplifiers, you don't need to use bandpass with the extra group delay, but that's my opinion.

A TL could do this, but it will be quite long since a quarter wave 10 Hz is about 27 feet long. With some tweaking it would be less long but it will be quite long anyway.

I hope you can use a VERY large box. If you can't, then going with passive radiators is the only solution.

That's a nice project and not that hard to do. Good luck!
Old 7th September 2005, 12:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simon5
Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18, check if there's some left, I think not.

Adire Audio Tumult are not yet available.

The next best choice would be Acoustic Elegance AV15.

If you care less about price/performance ratio, then there's the JL Audio 13W7 and the XXX 18".

I would use a simple ported enclosure. With a 24 dB x-over on most plate amplifiers, you don't need to use bandpass with the extra group delay, but that's my opinion.

A TL could do this, but it will be quite long since a quarter wave 10 Hz is about 27 feet long. With some tweaking it would be less long but it will be quite long anyway.

I hope you can use a VERY large box. If you can't, then going with passive radiators is the only solution.

That's a nice project and not that hard to do. Good luck!

I'm looking for a nice efficency of around 96 db/w with this setup

I don't think an XXX would play 10hz very well

I want this dead flat... seriously maybe a 3db down area of AROUND 10 hz is acceptable... but this isn't as easy as it appears

I'm going to try to locate an AV18 used... perhaps I can find one

the tumult isn't out yet... but that's ok I can wait if it isn't too long

I have 2400 watts at 4 ohms BTW to give this sub
Old 7th September 2005, 12:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

At what SPL? My bass boxes will do 10Hz @ 85dB, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

In your case, there's no substitute for cubic inches, so rather than looking at a single driver, I would be trying for probably 4 (in a series/parallel arrangement) and if you've got a spare attic or basement, then an IB arrangement would be probably the way to go. There are a few threads on these, the latest being Bill F's - 4x 15" IB construction

If you're going for a ported enclosure, then I'd be looking at a fairly high-Q crossover somewhere around the 10Hz mark, this will allow you to boost your SPL from the port (I'm assuming you'll be tuning it at about 10Hz) and save your driver from excessive excursion below 10Hz. Although, except for the occasional explosion in Star Wars movies, I'm not sure where you'll be getting the 10Hz signal from.

That said, what sort of room are you trying to produce this sound in? You'll have to make sure that it's fairly solid, as those low notes at reasonable volumes can do some fair old shaking. Also, you'll have to limit what SPL can be produced, as a note below your hearing level can still do damage at SPLs over 110dB.
Old 7th September 2005, 12:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloth Ears
At what SPL? My bass boxes will do 10Hz @ 85dB, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

In your case, there's no substitute for cubic inches, so rather than looking at a single driver, I would be trying for probably 4 (in a series/parallel arrangement) and if you've got a spare attic or basement, then an IB arrangement would be probably the way to go. There are a few threads on these, the latest being Bill F's - 4x 15" IB construction

If you're going for a ported enclosure, then I'd be looking at a fairly high-Q crossover somewhere around the 10Hz mark, this will allow you to boost your SPL from the port (I'm assuming you'll be tuning it at about 10Hz) and save your driver from excessive excursion below 10Hz. Although, except for the occasional explosion in Star Wars movies, I'm not sure where you'll be getting the 10Hz signal from.

That said, what sort of room are you trying to produce this sound in? You'll have to make sure that it's fairly solid, as those low notes at reasonable volumes can do some fair old shaking. Also, you'll have to limit what SPL can be produced, as a note below your hearing level can still do damage at SPLs over 110dB.

I'm looking for up to 130+ db at like 15hz-40hz with whatever I can get below that

I cna boost with my DRC all I want to flatten but I would still prefer as flat to begin with

the room is small 15x12... but it'll be fine

the 10hz signal isn't important where it comes from necessarily... if it comes EVER I don't wanna miss it

and my midbasses are beasts at 40hz so I want something to wang jjust as good from 10hz-40hz

ideally I would like 5hz... but I know no speaker can do this very well
Old 7th September 2005, 01:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

130 dB flat, that's a challenge! I like that!

Let me do some modeling.
Don't discard the XXX. 10 Hz is easy to play.

So, very large box or passive radiators?
Old 7th September 2005, 01:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
130 dB flat, that's a challenge! I like that!

Let me do some modeling.
Don't discard the XXX. 10 Hz is easy to play.

So, very large box or passive radiators?

passive radiators aren't out of the question if I can find them cheaply

if not a large box is fine

the FS is FAR too high on the 18" XXX!

I'll email dan wiggins and ask him when the 18" maelstorm and tumult will be out
Old 7th September 2005, 01:15 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I just checked a single Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18 with 800W.

You'll get 124 dB flat to 10 Hz with it in a 35 cu.ft ported box tuned to 10 Hz if you corner load it.

A single driver is not enough hehe, you need 2 Avalanche 18 with 1600W. That way, with two 35 cu.ft ported boxes, you get 130 dB flat to 10 Hz if you put each box in a corner.
Old 7th September 2005, 01:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

what about 2-4 of these?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-420

downfiring in bandpass?.... or am I just way off here
Old 7th September 2005, 01:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just checked a single Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18 with 800W.

You'll get 124 dB flat to 10 Hz with it in a 35 cu.ft ported box tuned to 10 Hz if you corner load it.

A single driver is not enough hehe, you need 2 Avalanche 18 with 1600W. That way, with two 35 cu.ft ported boxes, you get 130 dB flat to 10 Hz if you put each box in a corner.

I can only do 2 18's

also that box is too large.... way too large....

uggghh

Hide this!Advertise here!