Thinking up different ways to cover a very large box - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2005, 12:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Thinking up different ways to cover a very large box

Well I am finalizing my plans now for my next project and have almost all of the dimensions and calculations complete but have come to a stopping point. What to cover the box in? The design is quite different so I want the whole shebang to be different. Something that wouldn't be terribly hard to do and make look nice. Don't get me wrong I don't mind a challenge...

The box is going to be quite large with around 11.5 ft^3 and enough bracing to support the Eiffel Tower Rough dimensions are 5 ft tall, 3 ft wide and 3ft deep.

Some of the ideas I have been throwing around:

1) Tile. Slap some tile in a variety of patterns, shapes etc.
2) Wood. Not original in it's own self but I was thinking something more like the look of Plank wood flooring with beveled edges around all of the planks.

Now looking for more ideas...

Ethan
Old 21st August 2005, 12:55 AM   #2
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

Cover it is sandstone and write Egyptian hieroglyphics all over it, you could say it's statue base from one of the temples.

http://hieroglyphs.net/0301/cgi/pager.pl?p=01
Old 21st August 2005, 01:43 AM   #3
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Fur! Not only does it look novel, it also feels nice and it can even improve sound quality by reducing diffraction It comes in just about any colour and pattern, but I have a thing about cows for no good reason...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakers2.jpg (11.0 KB, 348 views)
Old 21st August 2005, 02:52 AM   #4
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Default How about invisible!

Build the box so that it can hide under the sofa!

Did this trick for a couple of clients.

Mark
Old 21st August 2005, 11:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Evil
...I have a thing about cows for no good reason...
Hmm, more than we needed to know I feel...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st August 2005, 01:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You can actually buy sandstone textured paint: http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...5&SBL=1&dds=22

It might be fun instead to whip up some papier maché and make it look like an Easter Island statue:

Click the image to open in full size.

Me? I'd probably be ultra-boring, and throw on some hardwood veneer and stain it to look like rosewood.

Either that, or cover it in tin foil and tell people it was a robot.

Wes
Old 21st August 2005, 06:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I did think about covering it in the faux rock paint, that is what I did with the last one. Last one was 6 ft^3 covered in the granite type. It is really easy to work with because it is so thick you can actually paint straight onto raw MDF without any base coats as this stuff will not absorb.

Under the couch? Naw, my couch moves around too much and I don't want to haul around the box....

Now the Easter Island idea, that may be interesting... but would papier mache hold up to normal abuse? Gosh it's been years since I worked with any of that stuff.

It's not that veneer is boring, I have some great ideas for that too but I don't trust my veneering skills. I don't have any I would hate to ruin a lot of veneer by screwing up. It's not a simple square box so it may be a bit of a challenge for a first time veneer newbie.

Thanks for the input guys!!!
Old 21st August 2005, 08:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I haven't done papier maché in a number of years, either. But Monster Garage made a float with a giant Santa out of it, the Santa swung up and down with a hydraulic lift and looked very durable.

They build it on top of a frame made out of steel wire or something. I'll bet Chicken Wire would work well for the form required to make the nose and such. Also, if you painted with truck bedliner (or some black rock paint), it would look a lot like the statue and you'd only need to decorate the front half of the enclosure -- thick enough paint would probably make for a seamless transistion.

If do you this, you are hereby ordered to post photos. I gotta see that.

Wes
Old 23rd August 2005, 01:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well dadgumit.

This whole easter island monoliths, or as I have now found out are called moai, has got me bugged. I have been wrecking my brain to figure out driver placement in such a monstrosity.

And another aside... instead of the papier mache, I also thought about foam. Sculpting foam as they use to make movie sets etc. After all this will be a 15" EBS subwoofer. Eventually dedicated to nothing up to about 80hz max...

Dang, you guys are a bad influence... why do I hang out here???

Actually I am a single man with my own house and I have been looking for a design theme in my living room and this might just push it a certain way...

Keep the ideas coming!

Ethan
Old 23rd August 2005, 05:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

5 x 3 x 3 feet usually yeilds more than 11.5 cubic internal volume. What are you doing that is different?
Franz

Hide this!Advertise here!