Highest sub xover point for music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building as pair of fullrange speaers, I want to limit as much bass to them as possible.

If I built two subs (one under each speaker) and fed them a mono signal how high can I go with the crossover.

If I was sending a stereo signal I am sure I could go as high as the subs will play but with a mono signal I am unsure.

If you think about it...

I would say around 80 hz for this reason.

If that is your X-over point it is the beginning of the decline in the high end of the sub-woofer. It will only be attenuated by the slope that you have provided. Typically the slope is 2nd ordr or 12 db/octave. That means that at 160 hz it will be roughly half as loud as at the X-over point, and at 320 hz it will be 1/4 as loud. Ideally you would want a fourth order slope or 24 db/ octave . That would put it 1/4 as loud at 160 hz. This is enough to be an effective low end to high end crossover.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.