Materials - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2005, 08:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Materials

Hi guys

Just came from a plastics factory where i was investigating material.

they have some cool stuff phenolics and the like some of it apparently i cannot build with because it does not glue together. It needs to be welded. Since i cannot afford Peter Daniels amps at 1200 bucks each at the moment i am going to continue improving my speakers. What is a better choice for use for an enclosure ? 1.5 inch Lexan ? 1.25 inch Plexi 1.25 inch HDFP ?

All of these i can screw and epoxy. the other stuff they have needs special welding equipment for it and is 1200 to 3000 dollars a sheet for 1 inch!!
Old 13th August 2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If it has to be plastics, you have the choice between ABS and PS, anything else have obvious drawbacks.

Magura
Old 13th August 2005, 09:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

ABS has a very high hollow ring when you knock on it and is generally not very thick if i got my plastics correct. The stuff i was admiring is very dense and 'dead' you hit it and its a dull thud. Less of a response on the knock test then 1 + inch MDF thats for sure. I cant afford the stuff they made the Wilsons out of. They carry it but it is close to 6000 dollars for a 4 x 8 sheet of 1.75 inch and needs special construction techniques.

I am really looking at the opaque Lexan 37mm stuff. Cut and all i can get 2 enclosures worth for 600 dollars. I cant get much deader cabinet material then that It s gonna weigh a ton though
Old 13th August 2005, 11:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

No one ? I realize i didnt actually ask a question but i am asking now . Is there anything deader then some of those plastics. I cant think of a wood that would <rhyme< be more inert then these higher grade composites. If there is let me know
Old 14th August 2005, 06:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Mike,

Your talking about a sub. If you want a see-thru sub, by all means go for it. Otherwise you are just wasting your money. The resonant frequency of just about any material you use in the panel size of a typical sub just isn't going to come into play. If you want overkill that is effective, do it with bracing. Then use a 2 layer approach if you want extra overkill. It doesn't matter how dead you think that plastic is, it still needs bracing. It might be great for speakers though, but for a sub it's a waste unless you want the see-thru look.

My advise is to use something easy to work with like plywood and go crazy with the bracing. Put the $500 in your pocket or spend it on something usefull like bass traps.
Old 14th August 2005, 06:48 AM   #6
rcw is offline rcw  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default re material

The best value for money material for making really dead boxes is boiler plate, easy to weld with handyman equipment and 100 times stiffer than mdf and plastic.
Old 14th August 2005, 01:15 PM   #7
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Want to go with 1+ inches thick?

Buy some exotic flavors of baltic birch, I've heard of 13 layers at 1.25 inches thick.

Want to lose money? Then look into Hydulignum or Corian maybe hehe!
Old 14th August 2005, 05:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hmmmm y'all think it s a waste ? And it is for the subs AND the top end. I wanted to re build my 2 ways with this stuff. Same enclosure dimensions just not Russian birch. Also, I figured that using this material with bracing would remove the enclosure flex and energy transfer elements as close to completely as possible.

Corian is way stupid pricing. I am not rich

From your experiences, do you think 1 inch MDF or layered birch over braced will be enough to adequately keep the bass coming from the driver and not the cabinet ?
Old 15th August 2005, 04:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Buy some exotic flavors of baltic birch, I've heard of 13 layers at 1.25 inches thick.
????

Standard 3/4" BB ply has 13 layers

http://www.woodnshop.com/hardwood/Ba...ch_Plywood.htm
Old 15th August 2005, 04:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
You could make your enclosures from MDF concrete and lead and end up with something heavier and probably deader

Hide this!Advertise here!