eq for low freq channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We moved and we'll be in this place for a while, so i'm ready to spend some effort to get things right.

Setup: basement corner room. Concrete floor and concrete exterior walls, room is about 12 x 24 with a 8'/7'/8' ceiling (in ceiling duct bisects the room across the short axis); with open stairwell at back left corner going up, so not truly sealed.

My 'for now' subs produce boomier/peak-ier response than in my last basement HT - and I'm building a pair of enclosures to use my 2x12" drivers - but in the meantime, i'm after an EQ for the LFE channel.

so, i've come across the Rane PE-17 http://www.rane.com/pe17.html - but that's XLR-or-1/4" - does anyone use this model for HT LFE tuning?

do you use one of these? http://www.8thstreet.com/Product.asp?ProductCode=22049&Category=Accessories

the signal chain: the pre/pro is a Sony ES receiver using the pre-outs. the sub amp is either an Acurus A200x3 (using only 2 channels) - or maybe an Aragon 4004 if i can swing the deal - but both have only RCA ins... so i'd have to switch away from XLR or 1/4 back to RCA... UGH.

any ideas?

ie: even this one seems to be XLR (or digital in/out) http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

how do you tame your LFE channel?

thanks Rob.

Reading your write-up now, good stuff.

i notice the BFD is about 1/3 the cost of the DEQ2496 - so that just might be the bargain i'm seeking.

i guess i'll need to compare them and see if there's value in the extra cost of the 2494 --- but even seeing the 'home' vs. 'studio' gain settings on this unit and then just using Shak converters answers one of my larger logistical questions - so thanks.

Stocker: i guess it's odd that i ask a DIY forum, but with the other projects on my plate - i'm not looking to build my sub-processor now :)

saw that...

"short pin 1 and pin 3" as the manual says in pg.19 for "unbalanced use"

i've emailed them and asked about 'levels' (my stuff not being studio/pro gear) --- the level adjustment switch on the 1124 is easy (home vs. studio) on the deq it's +12 or +22 db... hmmm both sound like pro gear.

so, do you just short those 2 pins and use the level switch on +12 ?

Yup - beware that some processors output different levels, and the final selection will be when you have it in front of you.

My sub output is at -0dB to work properly with the bfd, whereas my mains have to be -6dB to stop the deq2496 from clipping on peaks.

You can set it up nicely using a -20dB test signal and adjusting til the display on the eq shows the same. (available on avia or sound&vision home theater tune up calibration discs)

Have a look at the big DCX2496 thread . It should cover all your questions and then some.

Rob

collio

thanks for responding. so you use the deq2496 on your front channels? (the mic-in and RTA is one of the reasons i like this one....)

Behringer support got back to me within 4 hours, nice:

"Yes, if your home theater preamp outputs a nomimal signal level of -10 dBV, you will be able to use it with the DEQ2496. You would want to set the DEQ2496 for +12 dBu input and output. As this is a higher level than consumer outputs, you will need to increase the levels within the DEQ2496. With firmware 1.4 installed, you can adjust the overall gain in the GEQ menu."

man, that DCX model looks great for an active 3 way...

63k thread views: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15943&highlight=

:)

Re: collio

"thanks for responding. so you use the deq2496 on your front channels? (the mic-in and RTA is one of the reasons i like this one....)"

No probs, yes I do. I don't use the rta though - I use trueRTA software on my pc for that.

"man, that DCX model looks great for an active 3 way... "

I use one for my mains. I'm happy with it.

Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.