I got horny again...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm too lazy to type words... doh, I just did...

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
adason said:
eeexcelente!

dimensions? plans?

why? you don't have crappy, cheapo $30 8inch venoms subwoofers in America.. :p

and I don't believe the DD1008 subs will fit... but they might... :D

I need to put these back in the car, and give them some real power.. the Sansui amp I used was crap, I got my 2 X 150watt amp back.. YAY!!!

*spins around in circles*

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
AndrewT said:
Hi,
how about trying some mouth extenders to double or maybe even quadruple the final mouth area. Then tell us how they sounded before and after extending.

I considered extending the horns, to get bass extention down to 30Hz... but extending them, and increasing the mouth area really only increases the efficiency by like 2 or 3dBs, so its really not worth it...

They seem to do most music pretty well, they are currently in the house, passively crossed over to my bookshelf speakers... there's a whole in the middle of the response, but MEH!!! lol

one day I'll make a horn that will do 20Hz at 140dBs in room... that would be when I have my own house :p lol

Hi,
you might improve the efficiency by using mouth extending, I cannot confirm this.
What you will gain is extended low bass and even more importantly it will reduce the size of the response ripples in the mid bass and low bass regions very significantly, these WILL result from truncating the horn before reaching the correct mouth area. These ripples in the response can exceed +6db -20db compared to the theoretical flat response.

The potential for nice sounding bass will be limited with a mouth area that your pics seems to indicate.

we dont get venoms over here, although iut never struck me that they might be suitable for horn loading. Also most serious car audio guys would KILL for an actual 3db increase in efficiency. you have the room, extend the mouth area!

Now if youll excuse me i have some cooking to do!

I've heard venoms so I'm curious to hear commonts on how the horn version sounds, compared to other speakers and to the venoms in a conventional alignment. When I heard venoms at jaycar (bigger ones), I thought they were terrible, as with all of their subs bar one which had very little output :( Since then, however, I've built one from a Jaycar driver on special (response 10" that titanium driver on special for $50) ... if crossed fairly low, it sounds quite decent. I'm not sure if those Jaycar subs were junk, or if they were just poorly implemented.

paulspencer said:
I've heard venoms so I'm curious to hear commonts on how the horn version sounds, compared to other speakers and to the venoms in a conventional alignment. When I heard venoms at jaycar (bigger ones), I thought they were terrible, as with all of their subs bar one which had very little output :( Since then, however, I've built one from a Jaycar driver on special (response 10" that titanium driver on special for $50) ... if crossed fairly low, it sounds quite decent. I'm not sure if those Jaycar subs were junk, or if they were just poorly implemented.

Its hard to say with all of their stuff. I think their demo systems are usually pretty crap though. Here in NZ from what I can tell the venoms have a good rep for how cheap they are.

Here are some threads about them on NZIce mag forums:
http://forums.nzicemag.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=1941&highlight=venom
http://forums.nzicemag.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=30&highlight=venom
Venom horn:
http://forums.nzicemag.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=30&highlight=venom

I quite like the titaniums. They go well and were really cheap. Can't complain:

more info: http://max8888.orcon.net.nz/subs.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.