sub dropout - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2005, 12:55 AM   #1
n00bie is offline n00bie  United States
diyAudio Member

Default sub dropout

I was riding to the galleria, sub is working fine, then bam, it just stops working. The music still plays but no sub. So i change cds and it still doesnt wok. Well later on im riding around and it comes on for about 2 seconds then off again. Then does the same thing like 2 more times. Then gos down for the rest of the day? Maybe it's a short? Please Help me!
Old 23rd June 2005, 01:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: sub dropout

Quote:
Originally posted by n00bie
I was riding to the galleria, sub is working fine, then bam, it just stops working. The music still plays but no sub. So i change cds and it still doesnt wok. Well later on im riding around and it comes on for about 2 seconds then off again. Then does the same thing like 2 more times. Then gos down for the rest of the day? Maybe it's a short? Please Help me!
more than likely loose, corroded, or both connection good luck crippledchicken

Old 23rd June 2005, 01:09 AM   #3
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Perhaps there is a loose connection at power/ground/speaker. Perhaps the amp overheated. Perhaps the voice coil lead has broken off the speaker terminal. Many possibilities here.

What you first should do I guess is when the sub turns off look and see that the amp is still on and that the protection circuitry has not been engaged. A short will normally cause a fuse to blow, in which your speaker would not have turned back on until you manually replace the fuse. I would suspect that the problem lies in poor wiring. If it was wired a long time ago, the power/ground connections may have become rusted or corroded. Look at where your power wire connects to the battery, and where your ground wire connects to your chassis. 12V "light bulb" testers are crazy cheap if you want to test that the connections are good.
Old 23rd June 2005, 03:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I had it professionally wired about 1 month ago....and the power is still on to the amp.
Old 23rd June 2005, 03:14 AM   #5
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by n00bie
I had it professionally wired about 1 month ago....and the power is still on to the amp.
Just because it was professionally wired doesnt mean it didn't corrod or something.. Maybe you could hook up another speaker instead of the sub and see if it stops or keeps working.
Old 23rd June 2005, 04:15 AM   #6
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

If it was only a month ago do you not have any warranty on your installation? Maybe you can get it fixed free of charge.
Old 23rd June 2005, 07:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I cranked my car this morning and it worked. then went off again.....I believe it is under warrenty. I'll go look at all the things said, and then checkl the reciept.

Hide this!Advertise here!