sub dropout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was riding to the galleria, sub is working fine, then bam, it just stops working. The music still plays but no sub. So i change cds and it still doesnt wok. Well later on im riding around and it comes on for about 2 seconds then off again. Then does the same thing like 2 more times. Then gos down for the rest of the day? Maybe it's a short? Please Help me!

n00bie said:
I was riding to the galleria, sub is working fine, then bam, it just stops working. The music still plays but no sub. So i change cds and it still doesnt wok. Well later on im riding around and it comes on for about 2 seconds then off again. Then does the same thing like 2 more times. Then gos down for the rest of the day? Maybe it's a short? Please Help me!
more than likely loose, corroded, or both connection good luck crippledchicken

:)

Perhaps there is a loose connection at power/ground/speaker. Perhaps the amp overheated. Perhaps the voice coil lead has broken off the speaker terminal. Many possibilities here.

What you first should do I guess is when the sub turns off look and see that the amp is still on and that the protection circuitry has not been engaged. A short will normally cause a fuse to blow, in which your speaker would not have turned back on until you manually replace the fuse. I would suspect that the problem lies in poor wiring. If it was wired a long time ago, the power/ground connections may have become rusted or corroded. Look at where your power wire connects to the battery, and where your ground wire connects to your chassis. 12V "light bulb" testers are crazy cheap if you want to test that the connections are good.

n00bie said:
I had it professionally wired about 1 month ago....and the power is still on to the amp.

Just because it was professionally wired doesnt mean it didn't corrod or something.. Maybe you could hook up another speaker instead of the sub and see if it stops or keeps working.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.