Scanspeak 23w4557t00-04

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody has experience on this sub?
heard 2 setups with the passive radiator. impresive on a 0.7 cu. lots of low, great sq.
thinking of getting this sub as for car use. as the recommendation for this enclosure is pretty small. i might go for 0.8cu.

I am also interested in experiences with this unit!

I already have ordered two of these babies, where each unit will be placed in a frontspeaker loaded by a Hypex HS200 subamp.
It will be a closed box and I plan to design a Qtc of 0,57. The result will be 30Hz at -3dB and 20Hz at -8dB!

And the use is only for music!

Furthermore I will use a scan-speak 18W8546 mid in a closed box and as tweeter the D2905/9900 revelator (I already have these units in a standmounter).

Yara isn't it really expensive for just car use?

MauriceNL which crossover point will you use? And please inform us )me and Yara) about its capabilities (detailed, transparency, "fastness", punch etc)

Thanks in advance

P.S look at the http://www.speakerland.nl/HOT.htm

they use it in an intresting design (see attached file)

Attachments

• maxima-comp.jpg
    maxima-comp.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,173
michaelpage26 said:
Yara isn't it really expensive for just car use?

Eek!!! Indeed, very expensive one!
Ah what the heck, maybe I will also give it a try, since I will have two units by that time :devilr:

michaelpage26 said:

MauriceNL which crossover point will you use? And please inform us )me and Yara) about its capabilities (detailed, transparency, "fastness", punch etc)

Experience will tell what X-over point I will use, but I think I will use 150Hz (cut off with 24dB/octave) From there it can only be lower. Remember I will use 2 seperate (stereo) subs!

michaelpage26 said:

P.S look at the http://www.speakerland.nl/HOT.htm

they use it in an intresting design (see attached file)
I already new that one ;)
The use in that design convinced to use this unit. A cousin of me actually heard that design and raved its fastness and details. And he is critical when it comes to low frequencies.

I bought my DIY kit (scan-speak reference monitors) in that shop (I live in the same country and that shop is about 70km's from my house :cool: )

I will keep you informed, but it will take some time :(

Well, actually I will use stereo subs too ;) , with 180-150hz crossovers, to the full range ESL 3 from Rob Mackinlay ER-Audio, that I will be building in a couple of months. You are too lucky that you live only 70Km far from that shop. I wouldn't expect the Maximas to have really detailed sound (midrange) with the two 5" Revelators, in comparison to some Excels, Etons or Scan-speak Kevlars, ESLs etc. but I think it would have great bass.
Also as i don't speak Dutch at all, can you please tell me what does the speakerland site says about the maximas. Is the sub unit active, any crossover points, any opinions about sound quality (mainly bass)?

-A bit off topic: can you understand how are the pieces of mdf are sticked so beatifully in the Korrect XT? I would like to mimic it in my sub projects!

Also I would like to thank you in advance for any upcoming information and opinions about bass quality of your stereo subs project (Scan-speak 23W/4557T) even if it will take time (please don't forget us :att'n: :cool: ). :D
Good luck to your project, and we expect progress and pics ;)

Regards

Michael

michaelpage26 said:
Well, actually I will use stereo subs too ;) , with 180-150hz crossovers, to the full range ESL 3 from Rob Mackinlay ER-Audio, that I will be building in a couple of months.
Well I am interested in your future experiences!

michaelpage26 said:
You are too lucky that you live only 70Km far from that shop. I wouldn't expect the Maximas to have really detailed sound (midrange) with the two 5" Revelators, in comparison to some Excels, Etons or Scan-speak Kevlars, ESLs etc. but I think it would have great bass.
Also as i don't speak Dutch at all, can you please tell me what does the speakerland site says about the maximas. Is the sub unit active, any crossover points, any opinions about sound quality (mainly bass)?
A small summary of the site:

The maximas are sealed boxes, for bith sub and "monitor" top. Both are braced internally.
The sub is active, with a Hypex submodule (I do not know which one, but I guess it will be a DS series) and the volume of the box is 30 liters.
Total weight is 65 kg, height 120 cm. The top speaker has an efficiency of >90dB.

Because of the enclosed houses, we reach the best impulse behaviour with a real tight and clear bass reproduction.

Imho 30 liters is way too small! Then it should be stuffed with 100% Dacron or something like that, and even then I doubt you will get a real tight bass. But I am picky when it comes to bass ;)

I think the whole system will be very dynamic, despite the closed boxes.

If you want to know more, I think you can always e-mail them. They are probably also willing to share the drawings and XO details, and even their own measurement results!

michaelpage26 said:
-A bit off topic: can you understand how are the pieces of mdf are sticked so beatifully in the Korrect XT? I would like to mimic it in my sub projects!
Yep!
They just glued some panels to eachother and then milled a groove. Details can be seen in the attachment, where they provided full drawings and schematics. They are in Dutch, but when you do not reckonize a word, I suggest Interglot.com and/or Babelfish

michaelpage26 said:
Also I would like to thank you in advance for any upcoming information and opinions about bass quality of your stereo subs project (Scan-speak 23W/4557T) even if it will take time (please don't forget us :att'n: :cool: ). :D
Good luck to your project, and we expect progress and pics ;)

Regards

Michael
I will keep you informed!
:D

I have just made some screenies from WinISD.

I compared two boxes, one of 30 liters (Qtc 0,75) and one of 95 liters (Qtc 0,57). Please be aware both simulations are of boxes without dampening!

In these screenies you can see what a lower Qtc can mean for your bass reproduction. A roll off which starts a little sooner, but also flatter. Also lower phase shifts and lower group delays!
Gain
Phase plot
Group delay

Today I have finally received the units!
It took al little longer than expected :(

Tomorrow I will go on vacation for 2 weeks, so I will not be a to play with the units.....

But I have made some pics, and I must say it looks clean and nice.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hi all,

yeah is expensive.
but what the heck...

tried on a .9 cu box then throw in some wood for tune to .7 not bad for both but slight changes u may notice the upper bass region. ... and very nice indeed it just blend the mids very well.
Transparent i would say.
only set back not loud enuf for car use.
now thinking to try the new 26W too
89db sensitivity kind nice .....
;)

Sorry,

Have been busy with a lot of other things lately (new job, buying a house for around the new speakers :devilr: )

I have build a test enclosure containing 60 liters, being designed for a closed box with a Qtc=0,57 .

The enclosure is not perfect (has bracings, but is made from 22 mm MDF). But for initial testing it is suitable.

At first: the unit takes a long time before breaking in. In the beginning you really notice a low sensitivity and you need to crank the gain up. But already after a week (24/7) playing with ground deep slamming basses, the unit becomes more loose! And you can really notice that!
After two weeks I have done some serious listening and the results were pretty satisfying. I've put the XO at 150HZ and it blended very easily with my current speakers and also with those of a cousin (large Seas EX4 speakers). At his place we had a Metal meeting, with a lot of spoiled audiophiles listening to Metal and the sub was foudn to be excellent, fast, deep and musical ;)

Contrabasses can be followed very easily (even when you disconnect the main speakers), you can hear perfectly the characteristics of bass guitars etc.
They are worth the price!

At this moment my cousin is running in the other unit in a BR enclosure (way too small, about 30 liters) not designed for this unit. In HT the bass is slamming deep though! Promising I would say.

Later on, I will try to do some tests with special equipment to fine-tune the enclosure and after that I will start building the final speakers.

I will keep you informed!

Scan Speak 23W/4557T with passive radiators

Hi there high-end sub people,

Do you have an opinion/experience/tips on using the Scan Speak 23W / 4557T with one or two of their corresponding passive radiators 23W / 0000?

WinISD shows me an incredible small volume of 28.3 l with f3 at around 25 Hz (2 passive radiators).

The A.O.S. design (http://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/index.html) proposes even a mere 17l.

Re: Scan Speak 23W/4557T with passive radiators

mackmeier said:

Do you have an opinion/experience/tips on using the Scan Speak 23W / 4557T with one or two of their corresponding passive radiators 23W / 0000?
WinISD shows me an incredible small volume of 28.3 l with f3 at around 25 Hz (2 passive radiators).

Any update on this sub? How high can it be used 100Hz? 300Hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.