Need 8" sub - low Qts, low Fs???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For an infinite-baffle type of install.

I believe an ideal IB sub has a low Qts (meaning low Qes really), and a low Fs, and I imagine a low Vas also... in layman's terms, a strong motor yet a low resonant frequency, and a stiff suspension.

And since our goal here is to increase the amount of output that an already installed "ho hum" 8 inch free air sub, one with a good amount of excursion capability too, I assume.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

geolemon said:
For an infinite-baffle type of install.

I believe an ideal IB sub has a low Qts (meaning low Qes really), and a low Fs, and I imagine a low Vas also... in layman's terms, a strong motor yet a low resonant frequency, and a stiff suspension.

And since our goal here is to increase the amount of output that an already installed "ho hum" 8 inch free air sub, one with a good amount of excursion capability too, I assume.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Is this for a car or home may I ask? I am hoping a car since you are considering only 8" drivers. As was mentioned, to achieve any kind of decent SPL levels, there is no replacement for displacement. When it comes to the Qts, I usually like lower to mid values better myself. But have heard plenty of great systems with drivers of high Qts specs as well.

For a neat looking little 8", check out http://www.soundsplinter.com and have a look at their...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Noidster

For IB you want a mid Q driver because the system Q is the driver's Q as there is no "box" . A low Q drive will be over-damped and won't produce much bass in IB. Why would you want an 8" driver for an IB application anyway and except for under your desk or in a horn, I'd have a hard time calling something with an 8" driver a subwoofer ?

It was at a department store here about a year ago. The original price was over $1k, but it never sold, so they kept marking it down. I saw it and knew it was worth more than $175, so I bought it even though I didn't really know anything about it. When I got home and checked online, the lowest US price was $699 and most places $999 . That shut my wife up permanently about my speaker buying, because I turned around and sold my double Shiva coffee table sub for $850 .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.