Plate amplifiers? What to look for. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2005, 06:22 AM   #1
NickZ is offline NickZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Plate amplifiers? What to look for.

One of my goals is to build a couple of subwoofers. The first one will be used almost totally for TV use. I'd like something cheaper then the PSB SubSeries 5i but at least that quality level [better is good to] Later I'd like to build a smaller one for music only use but that'll be later.

What should I look for in plate amplifiers? Other then the fact I wouldn't mind one that is 230V/50 switchable I've no idea what to get. The room isn't huge [12'x20'8' I guess] but the listening position would be less then 10' from the sub. No real interest in very high volume levels. Sound quality on the other hand matters. What separates a good from a bad plate amplifier?

From looking at various online catalogs it looks like a 12" driver and an amplifier would fit my budget. Should I consider smaller then 12"? Any reason to consider bigger?

Thanks
Old 14th June 2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

10" should be big enough, 12" is better

I would suggest you go to your local audio store, get an idea what you like and come back and tell us. Then perhaps we can lead you in the right direction.

Cal
Old 15th June 2005, 01:34 AM   #3
NickZ is offline NickZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Like I said I'd be happy with performance similar to a PSB SubSeries 5i. But I get the impression that I can do better for the same money if I build it myself.

Creative Sound Solutions has an amp called "CSS SUB250R" that seems okay from the specs but I've no idea if it's good/bad.

They also have a driver "Adire Tempest" which is bigger at 15" but only $40 more then the Shiva 12". OTOH from looking at the Adire website I get the impression they are changing thier drivers.

The combined two would be cheaper then the PSB. [Amp and Tempest] But how would they sound together?

I'd like to build a sealed box for the sake of simplicity.

From what I've been able to research people seems happy with the Adire products.

The driver isn't shield I think. How far would it need to be from the TV?

Hide this!Advertise here!