Plate amplifiers? What to look for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of my goals is to build a couple of subwoofers. The first one will be used almost totally for TV use. I'd like something cheaper then the PSB SubSeries 5i but at least that quality level [better is good to] Later I'd like to build a smaller one for music only use but that'll be later.

What should I look for in plate amplifiers? Other then the fact I wouldn't mind one that is 230V/50 switchable I've no idea what to get. The room isn't huge [12'x20'8' I guess] but the listening position would be less then 10' from the sub. No real interest in very high volume levels. Sound quality on the other hand matters. What separates a good from a bad plate amplifier?

From looking at various online catalogs it looks like a 12" driver and an amplifier would fit my budget. Should I consider smaller then 12"? Any reason to consider bigger?

Thanks

Hi,

Like I said I'd be happy with performance similar to a PSB SubSeries 5i. But I get the impression that I can do better for the same money if I build it myself.

Creative Sound Solutions has an amp called "CSS SUB250R" that seems okay from the specs but I've no idea if it's good/bad.

They also have a driver "Adire Tempest" which is bigger at 15" but only $40 more then the Shiva 12". OTOH from looking at the Adire website I get the impression they are changing thier drivers.

The combined two would be cheaper then the PSB. [Amp and Tempest] But how would they sound together?

I'd like to build a sealed box for the sake of simplicity.

From what I've been able to research people seems happy with the Adire products.

The driver isn't shield I think. How far would it need to be from the TV?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.