Which driver for a small sealed box. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2005, 10:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

... I would fully agree to the statement of BassAwdyO.
But for LT you will need some electronic design skills, especially with OP amp circuits.
If you want a small size sub that goes significantly below 30Hz, you
will probably have to go for LT.
On the other hand: If f3= 30Hz-40Hz is fine for you, then forget LT and simply search a driver which offers small Vas (less than 50 l ), low fs(20Hz...30Hz) and reasonable Qt (0.3...0.5).
High excursion is only necessary if you want to play loud.

Good Luck
Markus
Old 8th June 2005, 11:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Currently I have no electronics experience at all (despite the fact that I assemble computers and servers as part of my job ) so I'm thinking that, although the Linkwitz might be a good suggestion, is probably a bit out of my scope at the moment.

I'm not looking for monster bass with this first go, just something to complement my current setup to give it a bit nicer low end. AFter looking at all the subs at Magnolia HiFi and such places, I just knew I could do better for less money

Choco - I will take your number advise and do a bit of searching!
Old 8th June 2005, 11:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChocoHolic
High excursion is only necessary if you want to play loud.

Good Luck
Markus

Or low........

Cheers,

Rob

Shockvalue,

Do a few searches on room gain and low Q sealed stuff. I'm pretty sure a pair of xls 12" ers will sort you out good and proper.
Old 9th June 2005, 12:01 AM   #14
RHosch is offline RHosch  United States
diyAudio Member

Take a look at the 12" RL-p sub from SoundSplinter. Low distortion and suited for small enclosures if you use a LT. Don't be too afraid of LT circuits just because of a lack of electronics skills... there are PCB's and kits available that walk you through the assembly process (no design required at all), and there are even a couple of plate amps that have LT circuits built in that you can utilize (at least one line from Adire Audio does that I know of off-hand).

A 12" RL-p in a 1.5cf enclosure wouldn't need overly agressive LT EQ applied at all. The result would be a flat, low distortion, deep, and extremely powerful sub.
Old 9th June 2005, 01:21 PM   #15
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Quote:
I am getting ready to build the Rythmik Servo for a music only system, and was thinking of using Brian's recommendation of 2.1f^3. Just how much over 2f^3 did you go? and why?
Mace, mine are 2.5^3. I built the boxes previous to Brians recommendation. 2.1^3 ft will be fine.

Shock/BassAwdyO,
if you look at the site I recommended you will see that Brian also offers LT's for his non-servo plate amps.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/lt.htm

For the cost compared to a Servo vs LT/Driver X however, I'd go w/ the Servo.

Cheers,

AJ
Old 10th June 2005, 03:46 AM   #16
theNoid is offline theNoid  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to theNoid
AE/Stryke AV12 is a great sub in small sealed box. Another option is the Vifa MA26WR09-04 with an f3 of 33Hz in a 1.5 cuber. No personal experience with the Vifa, but the AV12 works wonders in small ensealed enclosures I know from experience.

Noidster
Old 10th June 2005, 08:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Which would you choose? I'm leaning for cyan since it doesnt have such a curve at 50hz, but I'm totally new at this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closedbox.jpg (93.9 KB, 344 views)
Old 11th June 2005, 10:58 AM   #18
theNoid is offline theNoid  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to theNoid
color-blind here sorry. if it were me, going strictly on that graph, I would probably go with the line that is second down at 20Hz. It appears to have nice smooth roll-off, and yet a decent f3 in the mid-high 30's, giving me very usable response down into the low 20's.

Noidster
Old 12th June 2005, 07:03 AM   #19
cratz2 is offline cratz2  United States
diyAudio Member

Just to throw out there... I bought two RE8s a few years ago and tried them in a couple boxes for them including a 1.2 cu ft tuned to about 32 Hz. Sounded very decent in the car with very little power. Tried it in the home and sounded great with music (or as great as seperate subs usually can sound... I'm not really a fan) and with about 98% of home theater. As I recall, the lowest shakes in End Of Days pushed it too far but I was only using one sub.

Using WinISD, it looks like two of them model very nicely into 1.2 cu ft tuned to about 30 Hz. Comes under your target size.
Old 13th June 2005, 03:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

My 2c's is go for the HI-Vi D10.8 with LT.

Hide this!Advertise here!