How do I know the best speaker for an enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning on building (just as this point) a subwoofer for my car and I'm doing some research into making one.

I'm a bit confused on a subject. I heard that there's multiple enclosure designs and there's a few set "golden" equations, however, as long as I follow one of those equations, with a sealed cab, will the speaker need to be matched with the enclosure (as long as it's a sealed cab oriented sub speaker).

I know that with ports you need to have the cab set for a freq that works with the speaker and whatnot, but do you have to do that with a sealed enclosure?

Thanks!

Sort of. There is no correct enclosure size for a sealed woofer until you decide what you want the Q to be. You probably don't want the Q to be less than .5 nor more than 1. I prefer .7 or lower.

You should ask the woofer vendor for recommended enclosure sizes. You will probably find this info on their web site.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.