Peerless 10" XLS finished- passive radiator question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Myself and friends have just built our first subwoofer. It's a passive radiator subwoofer.

My question is, when I push on the woofer cone with my hand (ie. push the cone in) is it normal for the passive radiator to move in the opposite direction (ie. outwards)? Does my description makes sense? So that means that if these two cones were mounted on the same plane eg. front baffle, it would move in a kind of push-pull fashion.

I always thought that the passive radiator moves only when it's excited around the resonant (tuning) frequency.

But not in this case. As the woofer moves one way, the passive moves the other, due to the fact that the box is airtight.

the passive radiator will move at and below the system tuning frequency(and slightly above too). But far above it wont move. When you push on the speaker cone you're essentially producing a half wave of some extremely low frequency(less than 10hz probably). Unless you're just tapping it the half wave frequency you produce is probably below the tuning of the PR where the system is acoustically unloaded and the PR moves without any acoustic resistance.

Dont worry about this at all. It's what is supposed to happen. If you push the speaker in and the PR doesnt move out then you have a problem(airleak) and that will seriously comprimise the function of the speaker.

So that means that if these two cones were mounted on the same plane eg. front baffle, it would move in a kind of push-pull fashion.

Yes and no. Below the tuning frequency of the system the PR will move out when the speaker moves in, but around the tuning frequency the PR will move in the SAME direction as the speaker(which causes the increase in output).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.