KEF B139 as subwoofer - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2011, 08:07 AM   #21
diyAudio Moderator

First question, does your Teac support 4ohm loads? It should say on the back or in the manual.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th November 2011, 08:13 AM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
First question, does your Teac support 4ohm loads?
2nd question: Does it need to? 1 8 ohm B139 on the left channel and the other on the right channel.

dave
Old 16th November 2011, 08:18 AM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

True, but I was starting at the beginning as he asked for simple answers.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th November 2011, 08:38 AM   #24
awty is offline awty  Australia
diyAudio Member

O sh!t already confused me.

it say 4-16ohms TEAC AS-100 | Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | HiFi Engine
I'm not after miracles, just something reasonable that wont blow anything up.

Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 08:56 AM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Okay, it does support 4ohm loads, that makes it simple. Take two bits of two core wire, run one between the two speakers, connecting plus to plus, and minus to minus. Take your other bit of wire, and connect one end to a speaker as well, leaving the other connections undisturbed. That should be all you need to do, connect up the amp and away you go.

But you can check your wiring by taking the loose wire that would run to the amp, and connecting a 9V battery to the ends. Both cones should move outwards from the basket, in your case towards each other into the gap in the middle of the enclosure. If not, swap wires around 'till they do. Simple.
Old 16th November 2011, 09:31 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hmmm I get the first bit joining the two speakers, then you say you take one wire and join it to either speaker and join the other end to one channel on the amp?
What if I want to switch back to stereo to maybe run a tweeter on the remote speaker source? Will that still work?

Sorry I did warn you I am a bit thick.
Old 16th November 2011, 10:53 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, and no without building other bits.

Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: png wiring.png (15.7 KB, 159 views)
Old 16th November 2011, 11:09 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Why run it off one ch on a stereo amp? You'll get roughly the same power as running stereo but with higher distortion and music is generally recorded in stereo, so while bass is typically without stereo content that is not always the case and you may end up only getting half the tune. If the amp is only receiving a mono bass signal then I would agree off one ch is better, but if stereo I'd run one sub per ch.

Also have you thought about running one driver inversed to cancel driver nonlinearities? Can't see if you have space to do so, but just a thought.
Old 16th November 2011, 11:18 AM   #29
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, there are lots of ways you could do it, but awty wanted something quick and simple to test the enclosure, which is what I illustrated.
Old 17th November 2011, 12:26 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thanks Al pictures are good.

Baron Groog if you can show me how to wire in stereo I could give that a go to. The speaker is module, just held together by screws, so I can turn one speaker provided the distances aren't critical. How do you wire that and is that a better set up?

Thanks guys I'm getting much better bass and I'm hearing (and feeling) Meg's Kicker on White Stripes Destijl.

Hide this!Advertise here!