4x isobaric - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2005, 05:29 AM   #11
Jennice is offline Jennice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Issue A:

Quote:
Originally posted by azrix
Depending on frequency and driver layout, though, you can have lobing issues with that many drivers.
Maybe it's a language thing (english isn't native to me), but I don't understand this part. Is there another way of describing the phenomenon you're referring to?

Issue B:
You refer to the impedance not being changed... so what matters really is the "available" membrane area (factor relative to a single driver), and the power drawn from the amplifier (factor relative to power into a single driver)?

Jennice
Old 10th May 2005, 06:18 AM   #12
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Frequency lobing is when the off-axis response is alot quieter than the in-axis response.

This is not a concern when designing a subwoofer.

Since you keep the impedance at 8 ohms, then yes, you only need to consider the membrane area and the power drawn from the amplifier.
Old 10th May 2005, 06:44 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Simon5,

If I was to use 4 drivers all facing out (useable surface area), I would try to design the X-over at the baffle step frequency, so that the rear facing drivers would assist in making a (close to ideal) point source, radiating all 360 degrees.

Maybe I didn't explain that part originally... my plan was to either make a smallish enclosure with 2 x 2 drivers isobaric, or make use of all 4 drivers, 2 facing front, and 2 facing rear.

I think it was Dave (Planet10) who makes the baffle step compensation for a 2-way with an addidional woofer that is mounted at the rear. The rear driver would have a simple LP filter, letting the driver play as the baffle step reduces the apparent output from the front driver.

Jennice
Old 10th May 2005, 07:50 AM   #14
azrix is offline azrix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simon5
Frequency lobing is when the off-axis response is alot quieter than the in-axis response.
Not exactly, at least that's not what I meant by lobing. What I was refering to is when you have phase cancelation at certain frequencies and certain angles off-axis. For example, say you have a speaker that's -3db at 30deg off axis at a certain frequency, -20db at 45deg off axis, and back up at -6db at 60deg off axis. If you were to plot this kind of response on a polar chart, you'd have three teardrop shapes, or 'lobes', that connect at your point of origin. This polar response will change and become less of a problem as you go down in frequency. It's mostly an issue with lines arrays of dynamic drivers. But, it can happen with only two drivers if they're trying to reproduce the same frequency and are far enough apart.

Quote:
Originally posted by simon5
This is not a concern when designing a subwoofer.
No, it wouldn't be, but if you're using a large woofer as a bass driver in a speaker design, which I believe is the case here, you can have problems if you crossover high enough and use more than one or two drivers. It probably isn't going to be an issue in this case, so forget I said anything . Just trying to be thorough.
Old 10th May 2005, 08:00 AM   #15
azrix is offline azrix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennice
Maybe I didn't explain that part originally... my plan was to either make a smallish enclosure with 2 x 2 drivers isobaric, or make use of all 4 drivers, 2 facing front, and 2 facing rear.
Oh, I didn't realize this. This is generally refered to as a bi-pole arrangement, I believe. You can run the front and rear speakers in phase, so that all the drivers are going out as the same time, or out of phase, so that when the front speakers go out, the rear ones go in. That's about all I know of that. If you are going to do that, you might look at mounting the woofers on the sides of your cabinet so that you can have a more narrow front baffle. By doing that you might also be able to get away with larger drivers, if you want.
Old 10th May 2005, 08:42 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I figured I'd let the drivers play in phase if I were to go for the "4 drivers facing out" solution. This could compensate for baffle step I suppose, giving the 6dB gain which would otherwise be lost.
(Isn't baffle step -6dB).

I have thought about placing the drivers on the side, but wouldn't that mess up the sound stage? If placed side-ways, I thought the drivers should only play below 100Hz or so (where you start hearing directivity)...?

Jennice
Old 10th May 2005, 08:48 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azrix

No, it wouldn't be, but if you're using a large woofer as a bass driver in a speaker design, which I believe is the case here, you can have problems if you crossover high enough and use more than one or two drivers. It probably isn't going to be an issue in this case, so forget I said anything . Just trying to be thorough.

I appreciate all the input I can get

My plan was to cross somewhere around 2-300 Hz if I went for the 4-driver-out solution, depending on the baffle step, and hence the width of the cabinet.

However, due to the use of the room (and spouse!) the speakers wouldn't be too far from the wall, so maybe baffle-step isn't a real issue here. (in real life considerations)???

Jennice
Old 10th May 2005, 09:38 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Ron seems to have a decided dislike for isobariks...

I went thru an isobarik phase... the design has a place and i really enjoyed those speakers.

I also think the design brings more to the party than just 1/2ing the box and paying the price. The extra layer of cone isolating what's on the inside from the outside tends to make the boxes sound less boxy for one.

and it allows me to put 4 12" (a lovely semi-vintage Foster) into a 42 litre box -- a pair of 6 ft^3 boxes is something i don't want to contemplate.

push-pull push-push

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif push-pull-push-push-fosters.gif (8.5 KB, 279 views)
Old 10th May 2005, 09:44 AM   #19
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Yes, 3dB max SPL gain and 2x power handling over an isobaric pair. As already mentioned, with small boxes the space taken up by the 'hidden' driver and/or it's connecting tunnel becomes significant and you often hardly end up with a smaller box and you have wasted all that money on an extra driver. IMO isobaric only comes into real use if you refuse to use any active EQ and your box is bigger than 75 litres. I go with the LT every time.
Old 10th May 2005, 10:08 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have played with WinISD, and come up with compromised at about 20 liter for isobaric (plus some extra for the spacing between the drivers), and 80 liter for 4 drivers. these two should give the same response/roll-off, but at 4 times the enslosure size!!!
The ideal flat roll-off happens at 41 liters and 164 liters, respectively. There's no chance that I'm going to build speakers this size.

Considering that I want to make a sub-inclosure inside the main box, containing the mid- and tweeter driver, I would end up in excess of 100 liter with the 4 "visible driver" option.

Actively compensating for an error that could be avoided with a different speaker design, is not a thought I like.

Hide this!Advertise here!