Looking for very good bass driver - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2002, 09:49 PM   #21
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
cabinet simular to this but 10" and port faceing the rear and when one moves the othere does exactly what the othere does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poly-case4.jpg (61.6 KB, 298 views)
Old 1st September 2002, 10:00 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I've got 4 4ohm 12's per channel, series parallel, in sealed boxes with a Q of .5. Just a touch of EQ from my custom crossover brings the Q up to .7 and extends the lows a tad. Flat down to about 20 Hz or so. Very efficient and the cones barely move even at high volume. Very clean and tight.
Old 1st September 2002, 11:07 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bill,

Which 12" drivers are you using?

What configuration do you have them in?

OOOO

OO
OO

O
O
O
O

Rodd Yamas***a
Old 2nd September 2002, 01:56 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

They are oem drivers made for a company called Edge. Very tasty woofers - nice specs and high build quality. I was offered a good price on them at $25 per so I took the last dozen from a discontinued project.

As to configuration see:

http://www.kbacoustics.com/ygbsm/mysystem/index.html

Note that the page says a Qtc of .65 for the enclosed system. I have since changed that to .5. I guess it's time to update the site soon since I intend to change the midrange system to a vertical curved array.

I may change the bass layout as well. I own my own home, am not interested in resale value and am a very good woodworker so I can do as I damn well please. I'm aiming for audio NIrvana. Although I like most music I favor metal and look for front row center at concert levels. Don't mistake this comment for shallowness or crude power desires; very high resolution remains an important factor. I'll get this puppy to lauch a square wave if it kills me.

Things are progressing as I have foreseen.
Old 2nd September 2002, 03:14 AM   #25

Hi Bill,

It sounds like you got a good deal on the woofers. You might have to go digital xovers and time delays to get that square wave your looking for.

So you have a crawl space. Here's a good crawl space project for you.
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

Quote:
Although I like most music I favor metal and look for front row center at concert levels.
That's funny, I never figured you for the mosh pit type.

You'd like my son's music collection
Rodd Yamas***a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosh_pit.jpg (64.7 KB, 266 views)
Old 2nd September 2002, 05:23 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Wow. That underfloor horn project is something else. I'd like to hear it. Is there a CD available?

Sorry, Mosh Pit and Metal do not equate. Ask your son.

Now, tell me why YOU think I need to go digital and time delays to get a square wave.
Old 2nd September 2002, 05:33 AM   #27
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
id like to hear that crawl space layout and listen to about 25.hz hehe.. yeahhhhhhhhhh
Old 2nd September 2002, 06:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Mosh Pit and Metal do not equate.
That's right, it's the grunge groups that have the mosh pits. Sorry Bill.

Square wave. The fundamental frequency plus all odd order harmonics. Now this you can reproduce. What I can't see is how to reproduce the harmonics with their original phase relationship to the fundamental frequency with a multi-way system.

If you go active xovers to eliminate the the passive xovers, you still have the frequency dependent phase shift.

If you run bandpass boxes with no xovers, you still have frequency dependent phase shifts associated with the inductive and capacitive components of a speaker in a box.

It doesn't make sense to make a multiway system with full range drivers. That might get you close in the speakers bandpass, but the system wouldn't sound very good.

There is no reasonable way to eliminate the frequency dependent phase shifts of analog circuits.
The only way that I can think of is digital FIR filters and digital time delays to contend with variations in the acoustic centers of the drivers. Even then, I fear that the best you'll get is a rough approximation of the original square wave, but if this could result in a phase coherent reproduction of the leading edge of the square wave, I would be very happy with that.

ok? Did I miss anything?
Rodd Yamas***a
Old 2nd September 2002, 06:19 AM   #29
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
1. why do you want to got o 20Hz. Do you the room problems you will have to slove to really have clean bass at 20Hz?

2. If you are going that low I would suggest multiple 12" drivers.

I have built a lot of subs. The biggest and baddest were using 18" JBL 2245 drivers in 8 cu. ft. bass reflex boxes (one per channel). $400 per driver total $800. The midbass for each channel was 2 Focal 8" woofers that lesser systems use for subs.

The next were a pair of sealed boxes built for corner placement using 3 12" from Audio Concpets (DV12)per box. Each 12" has 2 voice coils so I could expriment with short ing the other voice coil, etc. Again 1 sub per channel. $100 per driver total $600 sealed box 10cu. ft. f3=25Hz. Room treatment cost more.

Presently I am using 2 Audio Concpets SV12s per channel. Cost about $125 per driver total $500. Sealed box. F3=30Hz.

I have also built a 3 chamber 4th order band pass box using 2 Peerless 831727 10" woofer per box. $100 per driver total $400.

now you could ask would I choose between the 2245 or 4 Peerless woofers. For each moving of air the 2245 is superb. For bass definition the SV12 are great. The Peerless is great for thump but not otherwise.

hope this helps.

regards
navin
Old 2nd September 2002, 06:27 AM   #30
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
this is that boxes for the SV12 subs. each box is 30"W x 18"H x 24"D other subs are from my past so I dont have them for pics.

each box has 2 SV12s coupled to the rear wall XOed at 60Hz poweered by a Carver M1.0t.

full range are MTM using SS 8546 and 9900.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg both channels.jpg (46.5 KB, 227 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!