DIY Stereo Subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jteef got it.:D
Grey, I'd like to look around for some of your stuff. Shoot me an email if you know of an anthology or something I may be able to get from a library.
Reading a new Iain M. Banks now, man that guy has some new ideas.
Making mead, now there's something I should try...

With jteef's hint (thanks), I got it. I was expecting one of those cutesy little BTW, IMHO, ROFL, whatever web-based acronyms, so something from Star Wars slipped right past me. I've got so many acronyms at work that I tend to avoid them in my writing. You might notice that I often spell things out even when there's a commonly accepted shortcut. Given that we have no idea how long the things we're writing here today may last, we need to allow for the idea that someone may be trying to decipher these posts ten or twenty years from now. At the very least, things may seem archaic & dated, at worst indecipherable.
All my SF output has appeared in Analog magazine. (www.analogsf.com) Your local library may have them. My fingers are crossed. For all that most of the top-grossing movies of all time have been SF (note that this is open to debate--lots of movies have SF trappings without technically being SF plot-wise--as an example, Star Wars can be analyzed as cowboys & Indians with spaceships as standins for horses, Alien as a haunted house story, etc.), it's not well supported in print. But, alas, people don't read much anymore, anyway. *Sigh*
By all means, if you take the time to read my stories, I'd be honored.
Mead--now there's an interesting topic. Easy to make. Tasty to drink. Effective...if you know what I mean. (Hint: Even ladies who 'don't drink' find mead an intriguing beverage.) It helps if you keep bees, as I do. The honey is fresh, not processed, and low cost. However, store-bought will do just fine. Bon appetit!

Grey

Paul,
I just caught myself using an acronym (SAF=Spousal Acceptance Factor) in another thread. I considered deleting it or spelling things out but decided to throw myself on the mercy of the court.
Forgive me, for I have sinned...

Grey

P.S.: Phooey...I just looked at my previous post and noticed that I used SF for science fiction. Curses! Oh well, let me phrase it that I *try* not to use acronyms. How's that?

[Edited by GRollins on 10-07-2001 at 09:01 PM]

Heh. UAWP (Use Acronyms Whenever Possible).
My wife got a chuckle out of the SAF. I didn't tell her that's why I'm looking at high-end headphones now.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look for an Analog anthology. I'm constantly in seek of new authors. Not that the current ones I read are slouches or anything...
Better to say SF than "sci-fi".

Paul

Paul,
Searching for my stories in an anthology will be a fruitless endeavor (magazine anthologies aren't as common as they used to be). You'll need the actual hardcopy of the magazine. Go to the Analog website: http://www.analogsf.com and at the bottom, there's an Index button. Stick in my name, and stuff will come up. It's not entirely up to date, as there have been several stories recently that aren't on the list, but it'll give you specific issues to look for.
For what it's worth, I use the phrase sci-fi in spoken conversation, but not in print, and vice versa for SF. (I'm not sure why I do that, I just do.) Yes, I'm aware that to some people it's a Big Issue as to whether to call it science fiction, SF, sciffy, speculative fiction, etc. and each faction looks upon the others as lowlife. Me? I think it's all silly squabbling on a par with playground turf spats (I've watched Big Name Authors go at it at cons--jeez, from the amount of energy they put into it, you'd think it was important or something). I just write the stories and let others debate as to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.