Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2001, 11:02 PM   #21
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Looks good, I'll have to give it a try. I think I've decided that I'll finish the boxes using a heavy black laminate. It may be tougher to cut, but its a lot more forgiving and requires a lot less surface prep. Plus, the black gloss look will match my mains and surrounds. There is still some arguing between the parents as to whether or not there will be a dual driver single sub, or two, single driver stereo subs. Either way, I will probably house the amps separately, since it will be easier to make a short, single y-cable for the LFE output, and just use different speaker cable lengths when positioning the sub(s). Once the parents decide on the cabinet size, I'll order the amps, drivers and terminals, and work on gathering the materials for and start making the cabinets in the meanwhile. Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for all their help and advice during these planning stages. I'll report back once the construction process has begun, and if I feel motivated enough, I'll post the project online.

Regards
-Bryan
Old 25th August 2001, 01:22 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Boy, you'd be amazed how fast things can change. After some persuading of the parents and a look at our funding, I've convinced him to drop the MDF cabinet, and our project has turned into a Shiva/Sonotube subwoofer. All parts have been ordered, and the driver should be here by next monday, because its on backorder. Unfortunately, their AVA250 amplifier is on backorder for over a MONTH!!! (I can't wait THAT long, school starts Thursday!) So, that is currently the only obstacle in the way of completion for the project. Now, I need some more suggestions.

Back to the topic of amps. Does anyone know where I can get a good plate amp between 250-300 watts into 4 ohms for $200 or less? The 250 watt amp at PE looks very good for only $129, but will require me to disable the bass boost. If I go with this amp, will it be possible for me to disable the bass boost without changing resistor values? Thanks a bunch

-Bryan
Old 27th September 2001, 03:40 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Success!

Once the parents were off to work this morning, I got out of bed and rushed downstairs...

First and foremost, I'd like to commend the staff at Adire Audio. When both of my parts were on backorder (driver and amplifier), they not only e-mailed me and notified when it would come in, but when it did, they shipped it same day, and upgraded to next day air shipping for free. Now, down to the dirty business...

I dont have the enclosure for the amp built yet, so I'm just doing a test run from the cardboard box I also have to glue and seal the baffle to the sonotube, and add the legs to keep it off the ground. I currently have it tipped on its side as not to block the port tube, and slightly propped up. And quite frankly, I'm scared to death...

NEVER, in ANY commercial sub, have I ever seen a driver move like that! Just watching the cone move is better than going to the movies!

So, how does it sound? Well, its not even finished, and I just made a few hasty adjustment to the crossover, and it is pounding out the notes to Dido's "No Angel" better than any other sub I've ever heard, including anything I'd ever heard from the lineup of REL's we'd considered buying before the DIY route. Theres not even a hint of boom, and I have the level turned past the halfway mark on the AVA-250 amp. Just by listening, I'd say this thing extends easily down to 16 hz. I never expected it to sound this great. Well, I'd better go now, the tube in my PC monitor appears to have shifted, and it needs to be degaussed .

(By the way, when track 6 came on, I thought the house was going give way)
Old 27th September 2001, 03:49 PM   #24
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Bryan: I'm curious to know some of the specs for your new sub. How large is the internal volume?, vented or sealed? if vented, tuning frequency?

The Shivas are a pretty nice breed of driver, excellent performance for the money!
Old 27th September 2001, 04:27 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Eric:

I used a 16" wide, 43" high sonotube, with a 20" long 4" diameter port made of PVC. This gives me 133 L enclosure volume, with a 16.9Hz tune and -3db point of 21.85Hz. Factoring room gain, I can go a bit lower, with a -3db around 20 hz, if not lower. The sonotube is 1/4 thick, I believe. The dual voice coils of the driver are run in parallel, with the Adire Audio AVA-250 amp driving it. Both the driver and the amp seem to be of very high quality. The amp has a clean solder job, parts are secured down with damping material, and all the parts have a solid feel to them.

Each endcap is doubled up 3/4 MDF, held together with "rue glue". This stuff was given to me by a nearby cabinet maker. He showed me what this stuff is capable of. It dries with a slightly rubbery, elastic feel to it, and didn't look like it'd hold up well. He showed me a scrap panel that had been glued together. The two of us tried to pry the panels apart, but to no avail. The glue never gave, but the top few surface layers of the MDF ripped clean off. This stuff WORKS, but is only available to businesses in this area.

The internal wiring I made myself using individually coated teflon wires, and is approximately 12 gauge. Without any padding, the tube rings like a bell. I headed over to a local factory called "Hi-Tek Packaging" whom my father delivers to, and he gave me ample foam to line the interior with. It is extremely dense, but not to thick. The top and bottom were lined with egg crate foam, but the tube itself was lined with this other type of foam, that had a slightly wavy texture to it, so that it was better at diffusing waves than a smooth surface, but would still follow the contour of the tube easily.

Unfortunately, almost ALL of this projects time went into the finish work. I wanted a gloss black finish on the endpieces to match my Mirage OM-10's, and I had done it before to other speakers... using Krylon spraypaint. However, using Rustoleum this time turned out to be a HUGE mistake. The primer and first layer of gloss came out perfect, but about 8 days later, when I went to apply the next coat, it alligatored! I tried this using the Krylon paint on a scrap piece, and nothing happened. It was perfect. So, after some hard prep work and over a week of finishing, I stripped it down to the bare MDF, and re-did the finish using Krylon. Perfect. I then wrapped the tube in black grill cloth. The final product looks as though it came from the Mirage lineup!

Unfortunately, I don't have the test equipment to get the actual specs for it, but I think my neighbor may have some I can borrow. I'd like to thank my neighbor Bill a lot for all of his time and effort into helping me with this project. He gave up a few hours of his time to help me cut the tube and route out the MDF, and this is greatly appreciated of him. I'd like to thank my father too, for the countless trips to Home Depot for me

By the way, I wouldn't suggest this for use in a small listening room, not only for its large appearance, but because of its sheer destructive force. I've already damaged one picture frame due to its falling off the wall...

If anyone has any more questions regarding this, feel free to ask.
Old 27th September 2001, 09:57 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Uh, Bryan...I do have one question...
Weren't you supposed to be in school today? Or do they give credit for sub-building?
(Man, I wish I'd gone to a school like that!)

Grey
Old 27th September 2001, 11:44 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Actually, our school district is given the day off for Yom Kippur, or as I view any holiday, "Audio Appreciation Day."
Old 28th September 2001, 01:24 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

...I was kinda hoping that you'd say it was for class at school...final exam is to build a plasma tweeter...

Grey
Old 28th September 2001, 12:55 PM   #29
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

HA! Grey, I was thinking the very same thing...
Old 28th September 2001, 08:35 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Yea, I was hoping I'd say it was for school too...

Although I HAVE brought the audio world into my school. I explained to my Cisco teacher the concepts of CAT-5 speaker cable, and he's amazed by it. Unfortunately, I just finished my prototype cables, (About 9 gauge) and my Denon amp can't handle the capacitance levels! Once I turned the volume up, the protection circuit kicked in, and the amp shut down. Its a shame too, at the lower volume levels, I can easily say that they were the best cables I'd ever had in my system. The midrange that I thought my speakers lacked were there after all! Hopefully when the Meridians come they'll be able to handle the load...

Hide this!Advertise here!