Sub for convertible - top open/closed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2005, 03:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sub for convertible - top open/closed

A friend asked me to build a subwoofer for his convertible. I think a sealed enclosure would be best, based off the type of music he likes, his bass preferences, and the space available. Now, I realize that the cabin of a car amplifies low bass frequencies, and the smaller the cabin, the higher of a frequency at which this starts. So this is even more dominate in a small convertible.

Now, my main question is, if I design the sub to sound good with the top closed, will I lose all my cabin gain bass when the top is opened? Is there any way I can remedy this?

Thanks in advance!

Reece
Old 19th April 2005, 07:10 AM   #2
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

You will lose all cabin gain. You cannot remedy this.

It's a good idea to go sealed, so when you'll lose all cabin gain, it won't sound awful.
Old 19th April 2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

If you wanted a super-slick implementation, you could have your cake and eat it, too.

Top-down, make an eq curve that sounds good. LOTS of power and bass-boosting action.

Top-up, make the eq cut out and let cabin gain work for you.

Use a micro-switch or an existing switch for the car's sensor, whatever you can hide.

Of course, if it is a ragtop, you will have next to no cabin gain anyway due to the lossy nature of the top IIRC, so vented is the way, all the way.
Old 19th April 2005, 06:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stocker
Of course, if it is a ragtop, you will have next to no cabin gain anyway due to the lossy nature of the top IIRC, so vented is the way, all the way.

Interesting. Sounds like something I should test. Does anyone have experience with cabin gain in ragtops?

Reece
Old 19th April 2005, 09:19 PM   #5
RHosch is offline RHosch  United States
diyAudio Member

Cabin gain in a ragtop will be almost nonexistant.
Old 20th April 2005, 12:01 AM   #6
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Cabin gain (or room gain) comes because the air in a volume is compressed. If you have flexible walls in your house or a cloth roof to a car, they will be (at least) very lossy, contributing "not much" to the low-bass output of a subwoofer.

Hide this!Advertise here!