Sub for convertible - top open/closed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend asked me to build a subwoofer for his convertible. I think a sealed enclosure would be best, based off the type of music he likes, his bass preferences, and the space available. Now, I realize that the cabin of a car amplifies low bass frequencies, and the smaller the cabin, the higher of a frequency at which this starts. So this is even more dominate in a small convertible.

Now, my main question is, if I design the sub to sound good with the top closed, will I lose all my cabin gain bass when the top is opened? Is there any way I can remedy this?

Thanks in advance!

Reece

If you wanted a super-slick implementation, you could have your cake and eat it, too.

Top-down, make an eq curve that sounds good. LOTS of power and bass-boosting action.

Top-up, make the eq cut out and let cabin gain work for you.

Use a micro-switch or an existing switch for the car's sensor, whatever you can hide.

Of course, if it is a ragtop, you will have next to no cabin gain anyway due to the lossy nature of the top IIRC, so vented is the way, all the way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.