Looking for the right one

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been dreaming of making my own sub for quite some time, and have settled on a basic outline:

- Sealed box
- Group delay under 10 ms
- ~3.0 ft^3 (Less is better though)

I've found myself stuffing rags in ports of all my subwoofers for computers and hometheaters, and liking the sound much better. I've settled on the Ascendant Audio 15" for it's small boxes needs and and low group delay in the .707 alignment. I don't need too much power but headroom is a beautiful thing, any other good contenders you can think of (that would be easy to obtain?)
Thanks guys,
Matt

perpetual said:
The 15" Dayton Titanic MKIII from PE uses a smaller box. I built one.

How did it sound? I'm going for as tight a bass sound as possible, I can't stand boom in bass but I still want to be able to feel it, I want the sub to be equally capable for Music and HT.
How does the Titanic do? That one is on my list, thanks for your reply :),
Matt

I went with a sealed enclosure. I think this sub is really good for both, music and HT. I also wanted tight and accurate bass for music, but I also wanted to feel it during movies. I actually got 100 dbs at 15Hz at my sitting position (about 9' from the sub). During this test all the pictures in my house shook and I felt the pressure.

The lows are tighter than ever and I get the hit in the stomach that I wanted. In most heavy bass movies like the Darla scene from Nemo, I feel like something is pushing me.

You can check out my web site to see pics of the construction.
You can aslo check out my threat here I poseted three pics there.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55112

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mjr7531 said:
I've found myself stuffing rags in ports of all my subwoofers for computers and hometheaters, and liking the sound much better.

Me too... i usually use rolled up foam of polyfluff. This makes them aperiodic. I have had good results actually designed for an aperiodic box.

Ascendant Audio 15"... any other good contenders you can think of (that would be easy to obtain?)

Those are the guys who licenced XBL from Adire? I've heard good things about them. One other serious candidate would possibly be one of John @ Stryke (Acoustic Elegance) woofers made using the tech he got from Llambda Acoustics -- tho Llambdas are very hard to beat sound quality-wise.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.