PLease help designing my first sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Cal,
I have to apologize if my meaning was confusing, but yes the sub sounded very good, or at least I thought so.

Everything down here in Seattle seems to be fine, we've had such a mild winter that there's a fear that we'll have a water shortage this summer. For anyone that thinks Seattle (& the Pacific NW) is practically submerged most of the time..................you're right, that's why this weather is so problematic:^)

Currently, I'm trying to decide what to do for my next project, but I should be wiring better lighting for my shop and a dust control system.

I've been meaning to ask if you sorted out the level adjustments on your "periscope" design that you had at Al's place (the RAW Deal :^)
I know that I was quite taken with the whole design (it WAS NOT just another pretty speaker!!) and was hoping that you would continue tweeking the speakers. What was the make of the little horn tweeter you used?

Hope you and the rest of the gang living up in Eskimo Land are well and getting ready for the next get together.
Best Regards,
TerryO

"I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but several years ago I was over at Adire Audio when it was down on Elliot Ave in Seattle and Dan Wiggins had one of his 18 inch woofers downfiring out of an enclosure exactly like you have described."

That's not bad news at all...always happy to let somone else do the heavy lifting. :)

I kinda figured someone had done it before. Seems too easy to be missed. It occured to me when I was trying to figure out how to avoid folded vents in conventional square boxes (read: yeah, I'm lazy). It doesn't seem like the calculations would be very difficult. Vent area would simply be the interior area of the outer tube minus the exterior area of the inner tube. You could even fold several tubes to increase the vent length. One question I have is if the 1x2 spacers would form multiple vents. That is, if the spacers were tight against the sides of both tubes, and extended the entire length of the "vent" tube, would it effectively create multiple vents? I suppose it would, but maybe not. I guess you could have some kinda strange things happen...

After the Sadhara came out I started wondering if it used a similar concept. Maybe the proprietary PVS (tm) stands for, "parameter vent system"? Maybe I will have to take a peak if we ever get an Adire dealer around here. It does seem like a little forethought and design could lead to a very sturdy structure.

You know, I never really thought very hard about actually trying this design, but maybe I will give a shot...it is starting to sound kinda neat.

TerryO, don't give up yet. We are Northwesterners; it may just rain all summer :) .

TerryO said:
I've been meaning to ask if you sorted out the level adjustments on your "periscope" design that you had at Al's place (the RAW Deal :^)

Things have changed considerably since we last talked. Here is the thread to catch you up. Those periscopes were but a stepping stone.

What was the make of the little horn tweeter you used?[/B]

It was a no name from PE. I called it the Mick Jagger lips. No longer part of the equation.

Hope you and the rest of the gang living up in Eskimo Land are well and getting ready for the next get together.[/B]

Ya, way up here in Vancouver we're just breaking out of the snowbanks now. Actually, as you know our weather is virtually the same as yours. Today 21 degrees (that's 70 in 'marican degrees), tulips and lilacs in full bloom, mowed the grass three times this year already.

Best Regards,
TerryO [/B]

And to you sir,
hope to see you in the fall,
Cal

well i dont know if it has 24 or 12 db. all i can obtain from the manual is this...

"LPF/HPF"

When you use a subwoofer, you can select the cutoff frequency for the small speakers used. Select one of the crossover frequency levels according to the size of the small speaker connected.

80Hz
100HZ
120HZ

It also has mode called BASS MIX where the low frequencies will be played through both of the R&L speakers and the sub.

You can use the 80 Hz setting to help your front towers a bit, then crossover the subwoofer at 80 Hz too on the subwoofer plate amplifier.

Maybe you'll like to use a lower crossover, if your mains have no problems going down to 40 Hz, then disable the crossover on your receiver and use only the crossover with the subwoofer to match it with your mains.

A 24 dB crossover would be better to match with your mains at 40 Hz because it have the same rolloff caracteristic as your mains speakers because your main speakers are ported.

If your receiver apply a 12 dB crossover at 80 Hz, then a 12 dB crossover at 80 Hz on the plate amplifier will be better.

Then sonically, some people prefer a 24 dB crossover, as low as possible, because the subwoofer is now impossible to localize and it's not trying to reproduce midrange.

Good luck hehe!

Hi JiggaD369,

Not sure if you received my email, but the Atlas 12 is on a blowout for $100.00. You may have seen this mentioned in a couple of threads around the forum. Anyway, if you have the cash, I would consider getting one very soon, before they sell out. It would be one way to shave $45.00 of the total cost of your project.

ok just got off the phone with Ascendant Audio and my Atlas is on the way. Thanks Raoul for the head up as i didn't even know they were going for $100. Now i can just wait for little while to order the 24db version hopefully soon (thanks to simon for pushing me towards it :whazzat: ). :D . ill keep u guys up to date. thank u again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.