What would you recommend?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just recently found this site, and I must say that it's loaded with knowledgable people :)

So let's see if we can tap into that knowledge...

I am looking to build my own speaker system, starting with a subwoofer. I've looked at and listened to numerous retail setups, and was not impressed with the price and the sound. I'm currently using a simple KLH setup (5.1). It's a good thing I paid next to nothing for them. ;)

The finished size of the sub is somewhat constrained. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot (but that is negotiable). I want to use them for both HT and for music of all sorts. And I like the fact that the sub I currently have has it's own volume control on it. (Yes, I am a noob :D )

When using it for HT, I want to be able to feel the couch moving across the floor. But at the same time, be able to use it for listening to whatever kind of music that I feel like at the time. So flexibility and durability are strong factors.

My reason for doing this is economics. The retail items are either priced waaaaayyyyy to high or they just have really bad sound/not enough oomph. I don't have a large budget to work with, but if it performs well, the cost might be justifiable. All electronics I plan on building myself, including the crossover and amps, so ideas for those are welcomed as well.

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
desert00rat said:
Comparable with or less than retail units of similar size, with preference on the less than ;)

Way less than retail with better performance is usually a given with a diy subwoofer....

We need a $$ budget so we know how crazy to go... like can i suggest 4 Adire Maelstroms in a push-pull-push-push isobarik configuration -- that would fit in your 2 foot cube and move alot of air...

dave

planet10 said:

Way less than retail with better performance is usually a given with a diy subwoofer....

We need a $$ budget so we know how crazy to go... like can i suggest 4 Adire Maelstroms in a push-pull-push-push isobarik configuration -- that would fit in your 2 foot cube and move alot of air...

dave

4 - 18" subs in a 2 foot cube???

The specs of the Malestrom are NICE, but I can't justify $1200+ for a sub.

For the sake of argument, lets go with 2 possibilities. A $300 limit and one that doubles that, $600. Those aren't absolute limits...more like guidelines, so a deviance from that is possible.

Thanks for all the input :cool:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
desert00rat said:
4 - 18" subs in a 2 foot cube???

yep...based on the standard sealed box -- 4 drivers "push-pull-push-push isobarik" fit in the same volume box as a single driver. (i have 8 Foster 12" downstairs, just itching to go into a stereo pair)

A $300 limit

A single Maelstrom fits in that same 2 foot cube, but i'd give up sheer air moving, and go with a pair of drivers push push (there are tons of good 12" drivers that cost between $100 & $150 (or a bit more))... find 1 that can live in a 4 ft^3 or less box, double the box size and fit the 2 drivers on opposite faces.

For double the dollars -- build 2 subs.

(I didn't consider the cost of an amp into the budget)

dave

With 300$, I would go with something like I did.

A single Adire Audio Shiva or Ascendant Audio Atlas 12, with a 250W Rythmik Audio 250A basic plate amplifier, a dual flared 4 inches diameter Precision Port in a ~150 liters internal box (external box size is under 8 cu.ft easily) tuned to ~18 Hz.

With 600$, I would go with a 350W Rythmik Audio 370 SE (with the 24dB x-over) plate amplifier, a single Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15 and try to think how I would fit dual flared ports in a ~150 liters enclosure by respecting the 34 m/s limit...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.