roundover bit - inch and a quarter radius

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at finding a large roundover bit to finish off the edges of my sub, either 1/4 or 1/2 shank with a cutting radius of an inch and a quarter.

Prices in the UK are ludicrous for tehse bits, and I wondered if anyone could suggest an alternate, say maybe in the US or any other country that may ship to the UK and order online ?

you might be able to find something like these mdf quarter rounds to save yourself a lot of dust. (2" or greater radius) http://www.aitwood.com/catalog_l_quarter_rounds.htm

If you go for the 1.25" radius bit, use a >2 HP 1/2" shank variable speed router to minimize chatter. I've used my variac to slow down my fixed speed router. I bought a 1.25" radius bit from www.grizzly.com for around $40, it worked well, but the bearing didn't last long, so buy a few spare bearings if you go that route.

I agree with Bear - something this big is scary. I made a plywood fence/guide that pretty much turns my router into a router table without legs. I still keep the work between the bit and my body.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.