The OFFICIAL "Snail Shell" Thread!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.powered4sound.com/media.html

download the last video there... anyone believe it??

am I the only one that noticed that the bass output generated by two 15's causes everything to viabrate, meaning you couldn't even get a clear video of the people in the car? :p

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

even if the box was 105dB efficient, which is quite possible for a FULL SIZE HORN, you're still not going to have enough cone excursion on a 6.5inch woofer to reproduce 30Hz at the same output as a pair of 15's would do it... :p

BassAwdyO said:
What I dont understand is how they use the same sized enclosure for two 6.5" speakers as they would for for a 12". Something doesnt seem right

Pardon? :xeye: lol

each snail shell is supposidly specifically designed for the woofer. I don't imagine even a full, "proper" horn would make a 6.5inch woofer sound like a 15inch sub though, let alone something that looks like a too short transmission line stuck on the end of a too short horn. :p:confused:

Too much subjectivity

Not enough measurements,SPL meters and frequency response measurements.

The sooner the BS ends,the better. If they werent BS theyd have nothing to lose by posting measurements etc...

Sure,if the 6.5"s were on an appropriately sized horn their efficiency could be near 50% but i dont see that happening below 50hz on a horn anywhere near the size of those miniature things.

mike.e said:
Lol ask them for sensitivity in 2pi space,if they know what that is - because if you ask for sensitivity theyl give you a computed version in car from the SPL reading-meaning +10dB in car bumps are included.

they won't give me anything.... they have apparently refused to give ANY details from the begining....

mike.e said:
buy one, measure it.

cut it in half,remove driver.measure t/s specs. Measure internal baffles. Done. Aww All the magic is gone :bawling: :cannotbe:

a "snailshell" for a single 6.5inch woofer costs...... wait for it... $US175.... plus about $100 to post a lump of MDF (by sea mind you, 4 weeks wait) making a nice figure of around $400 Australian... :p I think I'll pass... lol

You know if you ask me its nothing but a tapered TL that they customize for you. Basically what DIY audio is, but theyre making a online buisness from it.

Personally the video means nothing to me. I have two 6 inch midwoofers that someone might mistake for a 15inch myself. Extremis6.8

But the question is truely, is the snailshell a TL or is it some other alignment. Since its custom it might be anything!

DJNUBZ said:
Just so you know the 6.5" are not in a snail shall enclosure. The are in a different enclosure that I have tried to get some info on but john will not share.

hmm, I was always under the impression that they were snailshells... why would people buy the 6.5inch snailshells if they have no idea how they perform?

DJNUBZ said:
Just so you know the 6.5" are not in a snail shall enclosure. The are in a different enclosure that I have tried to get some info on but john will not share.

This my be so (I've seen the video of this enclosure) but there's only so far you can go with enclosure design before the laws of physics draws a big line in the sand and says "This far and no further".

A hatch can have up ~18db of gain closed up, add another 3-5db with the doors open, no doubt it sounds impressive, but it wount measure very high, if it did they would be shouting the numbers from the roof tops and the SPL comp guys would be all over them like a rash.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.