Eminence Lab12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've heard very good things about this driver the EMINENCE LAB12 and speaking to BK electronics in the UK, they seem to think it would work in a 50 litre sealed box, similar to the Adire Shiva.

I wondered what plate amp I could use to partner up with it ? Parts Express sell the driver, and also some switchable voltage plate amps at about 250w and I wondered if this would be enough to drive it, seeing as though I could order both at the same time and shave a little off shipping charges.

Thiele-Small Parameters

Resonant Frequency (fs) 22Hz
Impedance (Re) 4.29Ohms
Coil Inductance (Le) 1.48mH
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.39
Mechanical Q (Qms) 13.32
Total Q (Qts) 0.38
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 125.22litres
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 0.35mm/N
BL Product (BL) 15.0 T-M
Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 13mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 506.7cm2

x

Attachments

• lab12.png
    lab12.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 818
EQing sealed box + high SPl requirement = :whacko:

use ported. When comparing the subwoofers keep SOMETHING equal eg : box Vb required for maximally flat alignment for all,or equal volume for all to compare efficiency and cutoff....

Use winisd pro + patch to see excursion soar due to EQ applied to high excursion sealed box area below Fcb

mike.e said:
EQing sealed box + high SPl requirement = :whacko:

use ported. When comparing the subwoofers keep SOMETHING equal eg : box Vb required for maximally flat alignment for all,or equal volume for all to compare efficiency and cutoff....

Use winisd pro + patch to see excursion soar due to EQ applied to high excursion sealed box area below Fcb

He didn't say he required high SPL.

BK are waiting on PCBS for their new range of amps, with EQ capabilities, and also awaiting the first of the new Peerless XXLS drivers. I will be interested to hear what they have to say on the relative merits and performance of these new products.

I've no problems supporting local suppliers, however the cruel irony is that even with shipping and tax it's often cheaper to import items from the US or Canada that are made in Europe. Patriotism can only go so far when you run a business especially when inflated domestic prices and crippling taxes intervene...

Any 12" driver can be made to work in a 50L sealed box or smaller! Just use a Linkwitz transform and you can easily make it 1 cu ft and get the Qts and extension you want. As always you give up output to achieve this. It's with vented boxes that the parameters are critical and impact more on what box size you can have. The XLS wants a small box, whereas Shiva and others typically require a large box. Then you have drivers like the AV12 somewhere in the middle.

Personally I find the output of most drivers in a sealed box to be not enough. I heard a Shiva in a 50L sealed box and found it disapointing - not much more than I could already get from my mains already.

Well distortion will be high,and SPL will be limited to near 100db with EQing the sealed enclosure.
This is right, but in small cabinets this unwanted SPL limitation is present in general. This lab12 bass transducer is an excellent choice in cases, where it is wanted to get exact sonic transmission in the low Level area (due high Qms value and low Rms value). At the same time this type is very cheap.
Datasheet is here:
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/LAB_12.pdf

Now the actually question: in which commercial products resp. subwoofer devices is the lab12 inside?
Thank you for your advices.

Last edited:
I put together a smallish (16 x 18 x 22" - 100L external) reflex box for my LAB12 to hold it until I drop it into a large horn loaded enclosure (or based on recent developments, any number of smaller efficient boxes)

I believe the box is 60L internal and was designed with WinISD to be tuned to 35Hz... With a tone generator, I found Fb to be 31Hz in actuality. Not sure your application or targeted tuning, but a maximally flat alignment is something like 100L tuned to the LOW 20's which hits Xmax with modest voltage input. I'm using mine for music rather than HT but it sure rattles the room plenty... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419971851.277982.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419971878.546921.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419971903.944069.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.