Calculating Bl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unless you have a snazzy Adire Audio XBL^2 driver, BL is going to vary with displacement. You can measure actual BL for any given driver if you have a current-limiting bench supply and a force gauge handy. Apply 1 Amp to your driver (unless it’s a tweeter!) and measure the force in Newtons. This force IS your BL since the units of BL are Tesla*Meters which is equivalent to Newtons/Amp, and in our case Amps = 1. A current-limiting supply set to 1 amp is nice since you get your 1 amp regardless of the voice coil resistance changing with time as it heats. Obviously for smaller drivers you could use less current, but you will need a more sensitive force gauge. Caveat: This only works at the resting (zero displacement) position of the diaphragm and the diaphragm must not be allowed to move during the test. If you wish to measure BL at other displacements, you will need to measure the change in force since the suspension will be applying a constant restoring force at that displacement.

-Casey Walsh

Okay, it not that easy, I understand.

I'm using a Dayton DVC in a resistively damped application (power to one coil, a resistor on the other coil for tuned damping). I have been calculating the exact value of the resistor I need to tune my 50L sealed cabinet to precisely Q=.707.

The only variable I'm having trouble with is Bl which varies with 1 coil vs. 2 coil operation. It also varies with the size of the damping resistor. Since the value of the damping resistor is inversely proportional to the SQUARE of Bl, it becomes very important to have the correct value. I have a decent approximation, but if I had the formula, I could run the numbers with various resistors and be more precise.

Thanks,

Andy

loudnclear said:
Okay, it not that easy, I understand.

The only variable I'm having trouble with is Bl which varies with 1 coil vs. 2 coil operation. It also varies with the size of the damping resistor. Since the value of the damping resistor is inversely proportional to the SQUARE of Bl, it becomes very important to have the correct value. I have a decent approximation, but if I had the formula, I could run the numbers with various resistors and be more precise.

Bl does not vary with damping resistor size.

Note that Qes = 2*pi*Fs*Mt*Re/(Bl)^2
rearrange and get Bl=sqrt(2*pi*Fs*Mt*Re/Qes)

For simplicity sake, use the Qes for the parallel connected case, as Bl is the same for parallel and one coil driven..... Then go through the math as below.....

If you need more help, feel free to ask. You might need an equation for Mt now ;)

(Hint you can make one from: Vas = Sd^2*rho*C^2/((2*pi*Fs)^2*Mt) - all quantities in SI units....)

cheers.

=======================================

Snipped from Adire's White paper - where they got things right except for how to spell my last name ;)

"The math behind RDO is fairly simple; the best explanation/set of equations we've seen comes from Ron
Ennega, and was posted at Brian Steele's DIYSubwoofer site:
First you need the original Rms:
Rms = 2 * pi * Fs * Mt / Qms
Next calculate:
Rms'=Bl^2 /(Re + R) where R is the shorting resistor
Rmt = Rms + Rms'
The new Qms is:
Qms' = 2 * pi * Fs * Mt / Rmt
Qes does not change:
Qts = 1/(1/Qes+1/Qms)
"

Hi Andy,

There are a few spreadsheets on the web and in DIYaudio archives that calculate various T/S parameters. These are the equations I have been using.

Qes = (6.28E-3 x Mms x Re x Fs) \ Bl^2

Vas = 1.4E8 x Cms x Sd^2
Cms = Vas \ (1.4E8 x Sd^2)
Sd = {Vas \ (1.4E8 x Cms)}^0.5
Fs = 0.159 x (1000 \ (Mms x Cms))^0.5
Mms = 1000 \ (Cms x (Fs \ 0.159)^2)
Cms = 1000 \ (Mms x (Fs \ 0.159)^2)
no = 9.78E-10 x Vas x (Fs^3 \ Qes)
Sensitivity = 112.2 x 10log10 "no"/log10
Rms = ((6.28 x Fs) \ Qms) x (Mms \ 1000)
Qts = Qms*Qes / (Qms+Qes)

Great! Thank you, that is all I needed.

I've already run a bunch of numbers using equations and the Dumax sheet. I just needed to make sure my Bl was correct so my resistor size would be correct. You know garbage in = garbage out.

I assumed Bl was varying when I saw The Atlas 12 subwoofer had different Bl for each of its high, low, medium Qts settings. My bass box program also varies Bl a little bit when calculating (BassBox software) 1 coil verses 2 coils (Bl = 13.6 vs. 12.8, respectively).

When in doubt, look at the equation to see who the players are.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.