Bought: Avalanche 18

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting how after all the discussion I ended up buying a sub that wasn't really discussed....oh well. Anyways...I bought the sub today, was told it might be here tomorrow (!) and now I need to decide for sure what box to put it in. I'd love to make a ported (being a little hypocritical here if you read my last thread)...if I can make it a manageable size. I modeled a ported sub in WinISD, recommended an 18 cubic foot box, tuned to 16 Hz...would be roughtly 4.5 feet tall and about 2.5 per side. Not all that bad of a size, cept it makes MDF expensive since I can only get one 'side' out of a sheet of MDF. Since I'm going 1.5" thick I don't think it would matter much, I could just offest the 4' boards to the correct length and use a spare piece to make up the difference when face-gluing.

My question is though: Is it possible to stuff the sub into thinking its bigger? Obviously this works with sealed subs, but I've read that it can really make ported subs sound...off.

Anyways, Chad (the guy at Ascendent) said that the 18 works beautifully in a sealed box as well, and I'm sure it wouldn't be lacking for bass. If anybody has used these, I'd love any input on how they sound in what kind of box. Thanks a lot guys.

By the way, this is for home use: 60% casual music, 20% movies, 20% partying.

Stuffing a ported box heavily tends work against you.

IMHO, go sealed, as big as you care to go. Add a Linkwitz-Transform circuit and plenty of amp. Some kind of EQ to deal with room nodes is always a good thing too.

If you bottom port, you could always set things up so it's easy to screw on a cover over the port to seal it off. Gives you the opportunity to mess with it either way. I really like the look of 650L tuned to 13Hz, walls covered. That's 23 cubic feet. :p In-room F3 should be somewhere around 11Hz or lower. With 1000W behind it, capable of 120dB all the way down (though, you'll have to watch out for 10Hz signals at this level - excursion starts to become dangerous at this level at about 12.5Hz if you're pushing full power.

For 18cu/ft tune to 14.5Hz. You'll have room/boundary gain almost without fail down low. Walls covered again.

C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.