First Subwoofer Project: XXLS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2005, 12:04 AM   #1
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default First Subwoofer Project: XXLS

Hello,

I am planning to build my first home subwoofer box (I have built car sub boxes before) in the next few months and I have a few questions before I begin. I have chosen to use the Peerless XXLS 830847 for this project, and am going to power it with a 360W@4ohm class AB plate amp. The reason I have chosen this driver is that I currently am listening to my music through a pair of bookshelf speakers which have both Peerless drivers and tweeters and I couldn't be more happy with them.

The Peerless application note for this driver recommends a 58 Litre box with the port tuned so that the -3dB point is 32.5Hz. From my own tests playing around in WinISD Pro, I have found that a 83 Litre box with the port tuned so that the -3dB point is 27Hz will produce a much better response. However, when I look at the cone excursion graph, this larger box design will cause the cone to move farther at less input power. Is there any chance that I can be reaching maximum excursion before I hit the RMS power (350W)? My other question is will this larger box cause my output to be lower volume than the smaller box? I would like to reach a happy medium between loud output and deep bass.

I understand that the XXLS series are very new drivers and not many of you (if any) have experience with it, but I am exited to hear your comments.
Old 9th March 2005, 01:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your 1st question: WinISD won't tell you?
2nd question: Bigger box = higher bass sensitivity.
Old 9th March 2005, 02:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well I entered Pe = 350W for the driver i wasn't sure if this value was supposed to be the RMS or the PEAK power rating. It tells me that it will reach xmax at about 250W for the box i designed, or 313W for peerless's recommended box.

Higher sensitivity for a larger box makes me a happy man

[Edit: I tried changing the Pe and it made no difference to the graph so I guess it doesn't matter for this]
Old 9th March 2005, 03:51 AM   #4
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pe is the RMS rating of the driver, it's useful if you use the max SPL and max Power graphs.

So, check the excursion graph, it means that you shouldn't drive more than 250W RMS in your bigger box, but you'll have deeper bass.

Go into signal, and system imput power, enter 250W and see how much SPL you get, to see if it's loud enough for you.

Since you're going vented and tune around 27 Hz, maybe you shoud consider a rumble filter if you want to play alot of movies or bass really low at around 20 Hz or so, as you can see on the graphs, the curve climb very fast under the tuning point.
Old 9th March 2005, 07:59 AM   #5
iz is offline iz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

i'm sure it will be loud enough in both cases.....

unless you want 120dB all the time!
Old 9th March 2005, 02:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for educating me on how to interpret the graphs in WinISD. I will check the SPL once I get home today, but I am certain now that it will be plenty loud enough. I had considered using a filter to limit the excursion at very low frequencies, but I don't think it will be nessisary. I can always add it in afterwards if I feel that I do need it.

Now all I have to do is wait for my income tax return to come in .
Old 18th March 2005, 03:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

DcibeL

Good luck with your project. Out of interest where are you sourcing your drivers ? I've looked in both the US and UK to find the XXLS drivers with no success.
Old 18th March 2005, 01:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Solen carries them here in Canada. The 830847 is the most expensive of the bunch, at $241 CAD.
Old 29th March 2005, 12:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Picture Show

Before I get started here I thought I would share some pictures of what I have modelled. Because I want to do this right the first time, please let me know if anything looks hairy.

Vb = 80.33 Litres
Fb = 23.24 Hz
QL = 6.603

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st March 2005, 07:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

For anyone interested in ordering the XXLS driver from Solen, I have just been informed that they don't have them in stock yet, but they should be by the end of may.

Hide this!Advertise here!